Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
mcpenner

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500
New to me 1500 check list

I've been searching around for a couple of hours and haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm sure someone can point to to the right forum thread that I haven't found yet. I bought a GL1500 with 89355 kms on it (55500miles) at the end of last summer. We plan to take it on a two week trip in 2017. Since I don't know the history of the bike I was wondering what I should all check out mechanically before the trip? Everything works and the bike has no problems of any kind, but for piece of mind I'd like to know what should all be looked at. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 PM

Model: 1995 Gl1500se
Well, the list could get lengthy. Did the PO leave any maintenance records? When I bought my new to me 1995 GL1500se I didn't even ride it home, just trailered it because I did not know when the timing belts had been changed. That was the first thing I did to the bike, timing belts, new coolant, new plugs. Since then I have replaced brake pads front & rear, new steering stem bearings, new tires, changed brake and clutch fluids, oil/filter and the list goes on.

The real guru's around here will give you better info. I was really worried about the timing belts with 150,000 miles on it.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500se
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
A lot of your decisions will be personal preference. It is possible to do everything you can think of and have an issue. While others will do nothing and have no issues. It's mechanical and the nature of the beast. A two week jaunt is nothing for that bike. I would say that there are some things that should be done or looked at if you have no records. The absolute first thing would be timing belts. It is unlikely they would fail in during your trip but the outcome would be so devastating I would definitely do them if the PO did no do them. If they fail it is all but guaranteed the death of the engine on a 6 cylinder. At a minimum a very expensive and time consuming repair.
If it were me I would at a minimum make sure the belts are in good shape by either replacing them or finding the PO replaced them. From that point on it is all good common sense. It has to have good tires and brakes. Check all fluids to be sure they are full. Pay special attention to the much forgotten final drive. If any fluid look questionable change it.
That's minimum. If you want to do a more complete "going over" replace all fluids. Replace sub filters and service the air compressor.
You could probably just jump on and go. It's a trip around the block for your bike. much more you want to do is up to you. I only emphasize the belts because of the danger when/if they fail. Do what ever makes you comfortable outside of that then jump on and enjoy your ride.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 AM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
The belts fail so rarely that they should not be a fear, but just something you do at some point. Changing them also means taking stuff apart so new coolant/plugs/oil are pretty much a given anyway.
As stated, it is kind of up to you. Me? I would bleed/flush the brakes and clutch. Change the oil, gear oil, and coolant. Belts? If you have no idea about them they re only about $18 each. Only so that you you know they are fresh.

Make sure your tires are good, brakes too of course.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Model: 96 GL1500SE
Garage
You should do a T-CLOCS (Tires, Controls, Lights, Oil, Chassis, Stand) every time you ride the bike, but pay more attention when going on a long trip.
There his a good form here through the MSF.
Aloha Tom likes this.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 AM

Model: 1982 GL1100 Interstate trike
Garage
Even if the tires look good check the date they was made. Anything over 5 years old I would replace.

It is better to know where you are going than to get there fast.
former rides
1960 1950 5 horsepower Cushman scooter
1982 1974 750 cc Honda
2005 1991 800 cc Suzuki Intruder
2006 2001 1400cc Susuki Intrude
2009 1982 1100cc Honda Goldwing w/Voyager kit
2013 1982 1100cc honda Goldwing w/Lehman trike
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:52 PM

Garage
When I buy a used 1500 Wing no matter what the PO says i do the following.
Change spark plugs and all fluids, anti freeze, brake and clutch, oil & filter, final drive fluid, all filters, air, (fuel, sub and cruise filters if it a 1500 wing). Changing fork oil is easier on a 1500 then an 1800. Check the brake pads, you can see them without removing them. And as mentioned before, check the date on the tires, if over 5 years old replace them.
DeepSeaDiver likes this.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM

Model: 2006 1800
If it's running good, change the oil air up the tires and drive it like it's stolen ........
sidvicious likes this.

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:45 PM

Model: 2006 Level 2 Gold Wing
I agree with the maintenience items that everyone else mentioned, but in the end it has been the alternator failure that has ruined my,and lots of other peoples trips. The stock 1500s alternator is just not that good on latter models. Shorted out rotors. I usually carried a spare, and tools needed on long trips. I can think of 2 trips the spare came in handy. (if your alternator has never been serviced, at the miles it has, I would take it out for a check over. Voltmeters are a must have.)
gumbyred
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
55,000 Canadian Miles- she is still a baby and barely got the piston rings seated!

Make sure the seat is comfortable to you and the Mrs.
Every town has someone that used to work in a big uphosltery shop, now working from home for half the price.
A little less foam here and some more there, suddenly its 6 to 8 hours riding per day without complaint!

Airhawk seat pads are awesome for all day comfort too. The new design and material is only $107 U$D and very worth it. (half the cost of old design)
A 10mm layer of air between your backside and the seat, eliminates tailbone or nuttage crushing pressure.

A backrest for the rider = ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page