GL 1500 : second hand front brake disc - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:57 AM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Just brain storming, can there be some microscopic differences on the surfaces of the disks due to machining process (clockwise /counterclockwise rotation etc.) during the manufacturing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:04 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
John, if you were to lay the two atop each other as if you were putting them both on the same side you'd see the difference in the pattern of vent holes.

That said I doubt that you'd notice a difference in braking if you were to swap the rotors to the incorrect sides.
OnaWingAndaPrayer and John J like this.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 05:23 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1800A6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
John, if you were to lay the two atop each other as if you were putting them both on the same side you'd see the difference in the pattern of vent holes.

That said I doubt that you'd notice a difference in braking if you were to swap the rotors to the incorrect sides.
Very good point Ken, the holes do not line up when done that way. Your comments have changed my mind in that I now think the hole pattern (diagonal lines of 3 then 2 holes) is to get water etc directed to the outside of the rotor so, for me personally, I will use the correct one on each side. I accept though what you say in that you would probably not notice a difference when braking.

GL1800A 2006
Previously:
GL1500SE \'98
Harley Fatboy 2004
Triumph Rocket Touring 2010
Honda Valkyrie 2002 (fantastic!)
Pan European ST1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Make: 1500
Model: SE
I REALLY doubt a difference would be noticed because the water will easily disperse regardless of the hole-line direction. The pads only cover a small part of the rotor, most pads also have a channel cut in them, so there should be no ill effects.
But I can be a little OCD on some stuff and agree in in reference to correct direction preference.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Ar you saying Euro spec 1500 front rotors do not have a grove set cut into the sides of them? They are flat faced?

On a 1500- the interlinked system may be the key to why the rotors are different
Honda doesn't use 2 different parts unless it absolutely has to

My decent Guess as to why the left front could be marginally thicker:
In Honda engineer dreams: Left rotor is getting more use than the right,
They meant for the rear pedal to be primary, while right front is supposedly used for additional stopping and final low speed to stop.
See also:
Why was the OE rear brake pad so thick-long wearing?!
Probably same theory- expecting rear weight and stopping needs based on inter-link system.
The EBC pads new... look like Min. on OE in comparison

Show of hands- if you use the front-right as your main/only stopping power?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:53 PM

Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Another brainstorming, Honda engineers may have preferred using different part numbers although they are exactly the same rotors, thinking in case of any possible failure in the future, it would be easier to handle the issue.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:19 PM

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
I noted the extra wear on our '97 while the wheel was off to mount a new tire, I measured both, found the left worn most but still within spec, and .... and so I swapped left to right and installed new pads. I used a dial indicator to check run out when reinstalled and they were as perfect as they could be. I did a few bedding in stops, they are fine.

One side wears more because it gets used more as always with rear brake. Only difference left to right is direction of hole pattern and the "L" and "R" stamp. No one sees either under the covers on the GL1500.

My '85 GL1200 likewise has a L & a R and again, it's the sweep of the holes pattern that differs.

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )

NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:02 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGoldwing View Post
Hi everybody,

I have a 1996 GL 1500. My left side front brake disc (the one which operates with the rear brake disc) is approaching its wear limit.

I found on the net, here in France, an original Honda front brake disc which seems to be in state close to new (no sign of wear) and at a good price.

The only problem is that it is a right side front brake disc.

Comparing my two front brake disc, I see absolutely no differences between them two.

So do you think there could any problem mounting a right side front brake disc on the opposite side ?

Moreover, it seems to me that aftermarket front brake discs (for the GL 1500 or other bikes) are sold with no consideration for their side.

Thanks a lot in advance for your advices.

Good day to you all.

Guillaume
OK, to throw another thought or two in here I would say this. You mentioned that it was approaching the minimum. I'm sure for liability Honda is very conservative when they list the minimums to make it idiot proof. You know the guy who runs the bike another 1000 miles after the brakes are metal on metal. So, if it were me I would use the original again. Just be mindful of it and when you start to get toward the end of the pad life do a brake job again. The biggest worry is that the rotor would be so thin and some yokel wears the pads so low the caliper pistons pop out of the calipers and no brakes! It is not at the minimum so one more use at least will be no issue. At the minimum use it once more.
It's your decision but I will say this. If it were my bike I would put the original back on. At the end of the next pad change you might well see it still has not reached the minimum. Both of my rotors are just below the minimum and I just never let the pads wear past 3/4. For me it works out that I change brakes each time I change tires.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:37 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1800A6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Ar you saying Euro spec 1500 front rotors do not have a grove set cut into the sides of them? They are flat faced

Show of hands- if you use the front-right as your main/only stopping power?
Here's a picture of my new left-hand rotor. I'd always assumed they would be the same as the US spec ones. Have yours got grooves then?

Show of hands.... I tend to use only the right-hand lever when slow moving in town and both left and right brakes at speed. I'm probably too heavy on the right side in general though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170220_082441.jpg (51.8 KB, 12 views)

GL1800A 2006
Previously:
GL1500SE \'98
Harley Fatboy 2004
Triumph Rocket Touring 2010
Honda Valkyrie 2002 (fantastic!)
Pan European ST1100
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 AM

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
I use them both on both the 1200 and the 1500 ...... but especially the 1500 as it's a heavier Trike with those generous 9" drums out back whoa-ing those two 215/70-15 tires on 17x7 wheels.

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )

NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page