GL1200 Starter solenoid "buzzing" - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1200AF
GL1200 Starter solenoid "buzzing"

Hi All....I seem to permanently need help!!
I've bought and fitted brand new starter motor (old one completely toast). When I hit the start button the solenoid buzzes like a school buzzer and the starter doesn't turn....any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:45 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Sounds like the starter is defective. Aftermarket?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Dead battery?

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:09 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Dead battery or poor connection. When you push the button there is enough "juice" to pull the piston in the solenoid in. As soon as it tries to engage the starter that is too much. Voltage drops. The piston returns home and voltage rises. Repeat, repeat, repeat. That is the buzz. The piston is chattering. Make sure the battery is fully charged and good. Make sure all connection to the solenoid are good. Both the cable connections and the small wires.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

The battery starts to smell after trying the starter button for a while. Zero volts coming out of solenoid. I removed the starter motor and tried it direct on the battery and it spins fine, battery has 12.5 Volts. The starter motor is new from Total Power Parts in MN USA.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:26 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Have you tried to put 12v to the starter while it's mounted? The smelly battery indicates excessive resistance, I think.

And try jumping across the solenoid to see if the starter/wiring is good to that point.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawntreader27 View Post
The battery starts to smell after trying the starter button for a while. Zero volts coming out of solenoid. I removed the starter motor and tried it direct on the battery and it spins fine, battery has 12.5 Volts. The starter motor is new from Total Power Parts in MN USA.
Did you have any trouble mounting the starter? Is it possible you jammed it up somehow? When you say you have zero volts at the solenoid when? While pushing start button? Where? On the cable coming out? Also 12.5 volts means nothing unless you put a load on it. What is the voltage when trying to spin the engine over? Do you have 12 volts going in to the solenoid from the battery while trying to spin it over? Battery connection? Solenoid cable connection?

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Hi Redwing...when I push the starter button there are zero volts at the starter motor...battery starts to smell!!
I have removed starter from bike and then tried obviously earthing starter motor to the neg terminal on battery...starter spins !!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:35 AM

Year: 1986
Make: Honda GL1200A
Model: Aspencade
Is the engine seized?
Try bump starting to see if it will turn over and start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Hi Redwing, when I push the starter button I get zero volts at the starter motor and the battery starts to smell!!
I have now removed the starter motor and tried it on the battery, it spins fine. I had removed spark plugs before starting with all this so that the engine would be easy to turn, I have checked that the engine does turn (did this manually). I have not checked voltage drop on the battery when trying to turn the starter motor.
jeez it's been a long winter !!!!!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page