84 GL1200I Electrical... Please HELP!! - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 11Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
The problem is NOT the battery, otherwise it wouldn't have ran as long as it did. If the charging system was working it would have made the trip anyway.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Model: 2006 Level 2 Gold Wing
It would be a good idea for anyone buying ANY used Gold Wing without a voltmeter to take their own voltage tester along with them and check at time of purchase.
gumbyred
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Year: 84
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
The problem is NOT the battery, otherwise it wouldn't have ran as long as it did. If the charging system was working it would have made the trip anyway.
I think you might be partially right...

Update: I finally got a chance to check the battery today (It's been raining like Noah might stop by!).. Two dead cells... I just returned it to the store the PO got it from and they exchanged it for me under warranty.. a bit of good luck for a change. After charging, I'll stick it in the bike and start the voltage tests... wish me luck Wingers!

Ride Safe,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:14 PM

Model: 2 1985 1200 LTD's, 1979 GL1000
At this point I would not spend another penny till I tested the stator.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce p View Post
At this point I would not spend another penny till I tested the stator.
I'm in complete agreement. I'll run the voltage tests when the rain stops and, the highway gods willing, I'll have addressed the issues and can complete my tuneup and ride

Otherwise, it's a poorboy conversion for me... Already emailed Don and all I need is the mounting / pulley kit, so I'm prepared to do that if necessary... Besides, that would give me a good excuse to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning.. timing belts too!

I want to thank everybody again for the help and suggestions.. I'll never crack a repair manual again without getting feedback from the forums.

Ride Safe!
Scott
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Year: '77 w/ '80 engine
Model: '77 w/ '80 engine
Garage
Ahh, the fifty mile test ride! But you still need to look under the hood as best you can.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Finally got to do the tests...

Looks like the stator is bad.

A-B 8.8
A-C 6.8
B-C 10.1

Tested with voltmeter set to ACV 750...

Also tested regulator output... it matched battery output which slowly decreased as the bike ran...
Tested across the battery terminals before start 13.2
After start at IDLE 12.64
Engine choked to 3000 RPM (No extra hands, lol) 12.60 and falling slowly....

She's definitely running off battery.

Cut and soldered stator wires and cleaned up regulator harness (tried both original and aftermarket regulators).

Is there any place besides the 3 yellow plug next to the battery (removed and fixed) that could cause stator output to be low without the stator being bad? Another wire plug, jump, splice maybe? Or with the above info, does it sound like I'll be investing in the poorboy conversion (I will not go through the trouble of changing the stator with a good quality part that will require pulling the engine and spending almost as much, just to have to do it again down the road)?

Thank you for the advice... just wish I had guys like you close enough to give me some hands on help!
Scott
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:34 AM

Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
did you check the stator output with the wires from the stator disconnected from the regulator?

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoracer View Post
did you check the stator output with the wires from the stator disconnected from the regulator?
Yes, I followed the stator test instructions posted in several places on the forum... even thought, maybe my voltmeter is wrong... changed the battery, checked again.

then I changed the voltmeter setting from VAC 750 to VAC 200, thinking I had the setting wrong... no difference.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the poorboy mod (which I wanted to do anyway so I could dress up the bike even more)...

Besides, after watching a video on engine removal.. I'm positive that the conversion is not only easier for a one man job, but better for the bike in the long run.

Thanks!

Ride Safe,
Scott
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:44 AM

Year: 1986
Model: GL1200
Garage
Hi Nitewing74,
PO's without them, we wouldn't have second hand "bargains"!?
I was always the nice honest guy when selling and took everyone at their word when buying. My perception changed when I became a bike trader for a few years. I now understand that when buying you must assume everything they say is "embellished" and only believe your eyes not your ears. When you trade Bikes the PO problem becomes magnified, that's why you get such a poor trade in on bikes as the trader has to fix things. Get your bike fixed and enjoy it, it would have cost more from a dealer so don't sweat the small stuff. My own Goldie imported from USA to UK, has issues but I fell for the bling, almost new look. Have you fixed yours?

my centre of gravity is the same as the bike, low and well balanced with all the weight at the bottom
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page