Strange Tail Light Problem - 1985 GL1200LTD - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 LTD
Question Strange Tail Light Problem - 1985 GL1200LTD

I've had this bike going on 6 years now. When I first got it the tail light indicator light would come on, along with no tail lights, once every three or four times I'd start it. After a couple of weeks the problem solved itself some way and never occurred again for all this time. Now this problem has begun again after my bike sat unused for a number of months except now it is happening every time I turn the ignition key and/or start it. The headlight works properly as do the front and rear turn signals. I checked the fuse and it's OK. Any thoughts on what is causing this and how to resolve it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:24 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Make sure everything is plugged in correctly and the couplings are all clean.
I had a plug that one of the pins in it had loosened up and would no longer meet with the mating plug.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:58 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Is it all of them or just the ones on the saddlebags or on the trunk that are out?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Make sure everything is plugged in correctly and the couplings are all clean.
I had a plug that one of the pins in it had loosened up and would no longer meet with the mating plug.
Thanks Dennis. I'll check that out. Sorry for the delayed reply. My internet service provider has been having problems.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Is it all of them or just the ones on the saddlebags or on the trunk that are out?
It's all of them. If it was just one set or the other I'd consider running a jumper between the two sets.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:20 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerNewsman View Post
It's all of them. If it was just one set or the other I'd consider running a jumper between the two sets.
Not a good idea. Odd since they come from 2 different sources. Do the brake and turn signals work?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 08:06 PM

Make: GL1200
Model: Limited Edition (Modified)
I know this is an older post but i have the same issue with my 85 ltd? my issue seems to be the same as described above one time i turn on the switch and get a glowing "Tail Lights" indicator on the dash and i noticed my dash lights are also not functional when this happens, and as of now it is happening all of the time, which means i have no rear lights with the exception of the brake and turn signals. I have unplugged the many many connectors under and around the seat and this has had no change.

Is there a main ground for the console or beak that needs to be looked at?

I have completed my version of the poorboy alternator and that works really well and does not cook my leg like the stator did and i have all the power i need for my farkels, Now if i can get my tail lights working again i will be a happy camper
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
There is one ground point for the '85 LTD, a boss welded to the frame, left side, just forward of where the regulator/rectifier unit is/was, and of course the ground between battery and engine.

If you are having this issue, check the plug connections that are under the seat on the left side. My indicator comes on when I turn the key on and the saddlebags are not plugged into the system.

I have also installed a new ground bus for new device installs, and for issues like this so I can redirect the grounds.

Good luck

Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microjunk View Post
I know this is an older post but i have the same issue with my 85 ltd? my issue seems to be the same as described above one time i turn on the switch and get a glowing "Tail Lights" indicator on the dash and i noticed my dash lights are also not functional when this happens, and as of now it is happening all of the time, which means i have no rear lights with the exception of the brake and turn signals. I have unplugged the many many connectors under and around the seat and this has had no change.

Is there a main ground for the console or beak that needs to be looked at?

I have completed my version of the poorboy alternator and that works really well and does not cook my leg like the stator did and i have all the power i need for my farkels, Now if i can get my tail lights working again i will be a happy camper
Do the tail lights work if you turn the ignition switch to park?

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Do the tail lights work if you turn the ignition switch to park?
Dave is probably closest here. The tail lights and consequently the tail/stop sensor derive their power directly off the ignition switch. Check for power at the tail lamp sensor on the incoming brown wire. Then on the outgoing. The sensor may also be faulty. (I know I shouldn't use that word.....) I'm sure we've never had a problem with an ignition switch.......the main connector for the ignition switch may also be compromised.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page