Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1000 low compression after rebuild (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/639794-gl1000-low-compression-after-rebuild.html)

rocks 04-20-2017 04:18 PM

GL1000 low compression after rebuild

Hi all,
From frozen piston to a complete tear down, I changed main bearings, primary chain, new rings, honed cylinders and more. Now the bike is all back together, and started fine.
No black, blue/gray or white smoke. No back firing.But the problem is all cylinder have a low reading. They all have same reading of 80 psi.
the tester itself is not reliable from harbor freight (cheap). It has a long rubber hose, and it reads different when I use the short metal tube(around 120).
The procedure was:
Battery fully charged
All spark plugs removed
ignition on
kill switch on
throttle open
choke open(knob down)

I put a little of oil inside the pistons, and the reading went up slightly. This is not a good sign as it for sure something wrong with the I honed it or placed the rings. I checked the ring gaps and made sure they are 180 apart when assembled.
Does anyone went through all this before?
I thought I would get a big number since the rings are new, but it's acting as if the bike was sitting for 20 years.
I left it running for sometimes while diagnosing electrical issues. And rode it around the block. Made it to 3rd gear. Didn't want to go fast just incase something happens.
Any advice will be appreciated.

OnaWingAndaPrayer 04-20-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocks (Post 5110586)
No black, blue/gray or white smoke. No back firing.But the problem is all cylinder have a low reading. They all have same reading of 80 psi.
the tester itself is not reliable from harbor freight (cheap). It has a long rubber hose, and it reads different when I use the short metal tube(around 120).
The procedure was:
Battery fully charged
All spark plugs removed
ignition on
kill switch on
throttle open
choke open(knob down)

Any advice will be appreciated.

Perhaps you answered your own question . Have you tried another compression gauge? Have you double checked the cam timing and valve clearance?

DaveO430 04-20-2017 06:27 PM

And did you do the test with the engine warmed up?

claydbal 04-20-2017 06:58 PM

and did you test with throttle wide open?

Bike...and Dennis 04-20-2017 08:30 PM

And did you do the test with the bike pointing north?

Oh, wait! That's not it...

...I'd think you'll will get a better reading after a bit of a break-in period.

spiralout 04-20-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claydbal (Post 5110786)
and did you test with throttle wide open?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocks (Post 5110586)
The procedure was:
Battery fully charged
All spark plugs removed
ignition on
kill switch on
throttle open
choke open(knob down)

I'd hazard a guess of yes on that one.

Aloha Tom 04-20-2017 09:27 PM

All those fresh metal surfaces have to get to know each other in an intimate way.
Once bedded to each other, using a proper gauge should yield positive numbers.

rayjoe 04-20-2017 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis (Post 5110906)
And did you do the test with the bike pointing north?

Oh, wait! That's not it...

...I'd think you'll will get a better reading after a bit of a break-in period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aloha Tom (Post 5111090)
All those fresh metal surfaces have to get to know each other in an intimate way.
Once bedded to each other, using a proper gauge should yield positive numbers.

Yes, Yes, and Yes. I agree with these guys!

Rayjoe

rocks 04-21-2017 03:18 AM

That's what I was hoping to hear. What concerned me actually is not the readings. All cylinders read the same, and probably cheap Pittsburgh compression tester is not a way to go.
But putting some oil on pistons, the readings went up a bit. That calls for the rings and cylinders. But glad to hear that it needs some time, and I will definitely try it when warm.
I am not planning on riding around since I am having an overcharge issues. Which is expected with the age of the wires.
I am planning on installing the MotoGadget, so I will rewire it from scratch anyway. Same problem I had with the CB750F. Rewire it, then later installed the Gadget then it I felt I wasted a lot time and wire. Doing both at once is better.
I will replace the regulator with the adjustable one from CB750 to avoid the battery from cooking. (It does boil when it revs)

I will keep you updated

claydbal 04-21-2017 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiralout (Post 5110914)
I'd hazard a guess of yes on that one.

oops. missed that! i went to public school in Louisiana! :baffled: