GL1000 split timing - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 07:41 AM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks View Post
Maybe I am just overthinking all of this. Like I said, I always used dynamic testing on my bikes.
So, are these the steps Randakk is talking about?
http://www.randakksblog.com/ignition...ing-technique/
Those are the steps. If all your cylinders are firing on the mark like you said in your fist post, there's no need to worry about any of this. It's only used if you have a set of cylinders that won't time correctly and instead of having one fire on the mark and the other fire many degrees behind, you adjust so that one fires a few degrees before the mark so that the other fires not quite so far behind.
If you'd rather time dynamically, you'll either need a sight glass that screws into the timing hole or Randakks has an over priced wheel or you can use this pattern to make your own. http://www.machinerycleanery.com/Mac...TimingDisc.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:39 AM

Year: 1977, et al
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1000/1200
The problem for most who do static timing is that they never go to the F1 mark again after setting the first mark. Thinking that T1 is T1 is T1. They don't realize the cam can flex or is slightly askew. I think it would show up on a light as moving mark, but hard to see. The flywheel is moving rather fast, first right on the mark, then a little off.

The reason to check this is if your bike has a knock sound when taking off at low rpm or climbing a grade slowly at low rpm. I had to read the article twenty times to finally get what it was saying, and my first bike sounded terrible until I did this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1977
Model: GL1000
Alright, some updates on the timing.
At first, I really couldn't get the split timing right. I decided to run the engine, and adjust the timing till I get the sweet spot. It worked. But are the highest points on the crankshaft identical?
Anyway, just ordered a Dyna ignition with the 3 ohms coils and new Reg/Rec combo (My reg is desd alright). Is the ballast still necessary? some say yes, some say no.

Has anyone tried to install the Motogadget on these bikes?

I installed them on a CB750 and XS650, and I love them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:43 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks View Post
Alright, some updates on the timing.
At first, I really couldn't get the split timing right. I decided to run the engine, and adjust the timing till I get the sweet spot. It worked. But are the highest points on the crankshaft identical?
Anyway, just ordered a Dyna ignition with the 3 ohms coils and new Reg/Rec combo (My reg is desd alright). Is the ballast still necessary? some say yes, some say no.

Has anyone tried to install the Motogadget on these bikes?

I installed them on a CB750 and XS650, and I love them.
There is only 1 high point on the point cam lobe. The reason for the split timing is the valve spring pressure can distort the camshaft and make it different depending on which valves are open. With the dyna ignition you won't have to worry about that. The dyna people would be the ones to ask if you need a ballast resistor or not.
I don't know what a motogadget is.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 PM

Year: 1977, et al
Model: Gl1000/1200
My bikes with Dyna's show it also as have the other bikes I've helped time. Hall effect is different than points, but a change in the distance can move the point where the magnetic signal registers. It also slight alters the degree at which the rotor is.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Your camshaft bearing journals have a 0.006" clearance limit and the dynamics of the shaft/journals being turned with and without oil pressure are very different.

Just food for thought.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page