Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1000 split timing (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/640194-gl1000-split-timing.html)

rocks 04-25-2017 04:38 PM

GL1000 split timing

I've been struggling with this split timing thing. I've used a static timing once, and that was on a CB750 when I put Dyna ignition.(I use dynamic more often )
This is a 1977 GL1000 with points.
So, following the manual. Get F-1 to align with the case, and the light comes on when hooked on parallel for (Cyl 1 and 2). Timing is correct.
Same with Cyl 3 and 4 with F-2 aligns with the case.
And yes, the points gap is adjusted.

Now with Randakk's method of split timing. This I guess is all confusing with all the degrees that involved.

Could someone walk me through the steps?

Thank you

spiralout 04-25-2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocks (Post 5117914)
I've been struggling with this split timing thing. I've used a static timing once, and that was on a CB750 when I put Dyna ignition.(I use dynamic more often )
This is a 1977 GL1000 with points.
So, following the manual. Get F-1 to align with the case, and the light comes on when hooked on parallel for (Cyl 1 and 2). Timing is correct.
Same with Cyl 3 and 4 with F-2 aligns with the case.
And yes, the points gap is adjusted.

Now with Randakk's method of split timing. This I guess is all confusing with all the degrees that involved.

Could someone walk me through the steps?

Thank you

It's only needed if your light is coming on at a different point the next time the fly wheel comes back around then you "split the difference." Sounds like you're good to go.

tlbranth 04-25-2017 09:39 PM

Mine both time without going through the exercise just like yours. So just time it & ignore the far out stuff.

Ekvh1 04-26-2017 06:31 AM

To clarify, pull the plugs to make it easier and give you more control, set it right on at F1, carefully make one revolution to F1 again. As you're coming up to F1 slow down and watch if the light comes on right at F1 on that second revolution. I have never had one that did. If it doesn't match, you " split the difference " one revolution a little early, the next revolution a little late.

Before doing this mine would sound like a bad rod when taking off from a stop and clatter at idle pretty good. Kind of a nuisance but worth the improvement.

77Pinto 04-26-2017 10:16 AM

The bike will run without doing the split timing, but as mentioned, it will run MUCH better if you do it. Check it on F1 and F2, plugs out, 'static' method. Take your time, its well worth it!!

ADDED: I'm only a few towns over. If you want, PM me your number.

Bill

claydbal 04-27-2017 05:40 AM

what is being compensated for? timing will be same every rotation unless there is wear or poor quality control. sounds like something needs fixed rather than "put it there, it'll do."

dingdong 04-27-2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claydbal (Post 5119794)
what is being compensated for? timing will be same every rotation unless there is wear or poor quality control. sounds like something needs fixed rather than "put it there, it'll do."

Read this for explanation. Applies to gl1000 still running points only. http://www.randakksblog.com/ignition...ing-technique/

Ekvh1 04-27-2017 10:16 AM

Applies to Dyna as well as points. Theory is the cam is flexing. Don't know. Do know that split timing when you have this issue helps low rpm performance.

JamesPal 04-27-2017 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekvh1 (Post 5118586)
To clarify, pull the plugs to make it easier and give you more control, set it right on at F1, carefully make one revolution to F1 again. As you're coming up to F1 slow down and watch if the light comes on right at F1 on that second revolution. I have never had one that did. If it doesn't match, you " split the difference " one revolution a little early, the next revolution a little late.

Before doing this mine would sound like a bad rod when taking off from a stop and clatter at idle pretty good. Kind of a nuisance but worth the improvement.

Put the light next to the timing port. It makes it a lot easier to she the timing mark alignment when the light comes on.

rocks 04-29-2017 04:06 AM

Maybe I am just overthinking all of this. Like I said, I always used dynamic testing on my bikes.
So, are these the steps Randakk is talking about?
http://www.randakksblog.com/ignition...ing-technique/

(From older post here)
1. Set the .4mm gap for the left and right points at the high point of the shaft
2. Adjust the main base plate static timing such that the #1 cylinder fires a little before the F1 mark.
3. Check the left point gap on either high point of the shaft and adjust the left point as necessary to get a .4mm gap.
4. Rotate the crank 360 degrees until the F1 mark appears again and adjust the main base plate such that the #2 cylinder fires a little after the F1 mark.
5. Check the left point gap on either high point of the shaft and adjust the left point as necessary to get a .4mm gap.
6. Rotate the crank 180 degrees until the F2 mark aligns with the case marks and adjust the sub plate such that the #3 cylinder fires.
7. Check the left and right point gaps on either high point of the shaft and adjust them as necessary to get a .4mm gap.
8. Rotate the crank 360 degrees until the F2 mark aligns with the case marks and adjust the sub plate such that the #4 cylinder fires.
9. Check the left and right point gaps on either high point of the shaft and adjust them as necessary to get a .4mm gap.

When I try to get one cylinder fires before F-1, and the second after F2 the base plate for 1-2 angled too much. Like about 40 degrees from the mark on points cover Honda used.