Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
awall

Year: 2008
Make: Goldwing
Model: Level 3
Head light modulator

I have just recently upgraded to a 2008 level 3 was thinking of putting modulators on head and tail lights was wondering if any one has done this and knows which ones are best. Any help would be appreciated Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:12 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
do an internet search for GL1800 headlight modulators, will probably find Kissan among others

At a Wing riding class I watched several 1800s, the ones with modulated/flashing lower cowl lights/driving lights stood out the best.

Cagers dont compute the closeness of the Wing headlights compared to a cage, and dont understand your speed or distance = closure rate and lane position.

A Triangle of Light with the lowers flashing on one or both sides will definitely get motorist attention
corkya likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:17 AM

Model: 2008 90,000 Miles
Here in Cape Ann, Massachusetts, flashing your headlight means "I see you, go ahead and pull out of your street into the traffic". Great way to get yourself in an accident, so no one in this area uses them.
MaxThrust likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:03 AM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkoi View Post
Here in Cape Ann, Massachusetts, flashing your headlight means "I see you, go ahead and pull out of your street into the traffic". Great way to get yourself in an accident, so no one in this area uses them.
I had never heard that side of a discussion on the topic. That being said, I may just look into brake light flashers for my bike.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
A modulating headlight will get attention. But its up to the motorist to interpret what it means. Such as "wait I'm coming through" OR "go ahead and pull out in front of me".
MaxThrust likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:10 PM

Model: 2000 Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkya View Post
I had never heard that side of a discussion on the topic. That being said, I may just look into brake light flashers for my bike.

After a short time with my headlight modulator, I will NOT have a bike without one. It is an attention getter.

[/QUOTE]"Here in Cape Ann, Massachusetts, flashing your headlight means "I see you, go ahead and pull out of your street into the traffic". Great way to get yourself in an accident, so no one in this area uses them. "[/QUOTE]

Must be a regional thing. In my 59 years in the Midwest, I have never heard that.

Carl

Honorary Rhino

NASSIR 6 - NASSIR 7
NASR 10 - NASR 11
NASR 12 Host in Galena

old bikes:
71FX Super Glide
86 Aspencade
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
But its up to the motorist to interpret what it means. Such as "wait I'm coming through" OR "go ahead and pull out in front of me".
Good point Dave!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
awall

Model: Level 3
Has anyone hooked up a modulator to fog or driving lights?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Yes Ive seen 1800s with the driving lights on modulate, highly recommend as best to attract attention.

There is a major difference between flashing your headlights once to acknowledge someone,
and the rapid pulse of a headlight modulator saying LOOK OUT! Freight Trains a Comin!!

2 Modulated headlights can look like LE, and you know how well people see and move over for that~ (not at all)

Only 1 of 2 headlights on mod works pretty well, based on viewing sportbikes on the road.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:50 PM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
I use a dual harness modulator on my 1500 from signal dynamics, it is great with a lot of features. it can be tied into your horn so that it will modulate faster when you hit it. You can also adjust the modulating speed from just turning the high/low beam up and down 2 times really fast. The only bad thing about it is it cant be hooked up to LED's.

If you want LED's I would recommend Kriss.com, they have one that can modulate certain LEDs.

I know in MD, it is illegal to use a modulator on fog lights or driving lights, it must be the headlight. The law might have changed since I got my MC license in 2015, but I doubt.

I HIGHLY recommend a good flasher. Most people I have encountered up and down the east coast think it is a cop MC and give me distance.

Allen
2000 Goldwing Special Edition, starting with 23k miles

Ham Radio Extra Class-KB3WEY

8 lives left
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page