2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
GL1200 Voltage regulator issue?

I've got a 1985 GL1200 LTD that I picked up last summer. Seems to have a charging problem. Initially I assumed it was likely the stator. Ran the stator through the usual tests and it appears to be OK. I get ~5.5V coming out of each of the three yellow wires when the bike is running. BUT ... here's what I discovered last night. At the voltage regulator with the bike running but 3 yellows disconnected from the voltage regulator, I still get ~5.5V coming from each yellow from the stator. When I plug them into the voltage regulator, the voltage on two of the 3 remains at ~5.5V, but the third drops to <1V and the wire gets quite hot. Is this an indication of a problem with the voltage regulator and time for a new one?

Haven't tested the voltage regulator yet, partly because I don't know if I have the right meter to test it's function properly. Seems to me that there must be a short somewhere though.

Last edited by doc2bmrd; 05-02-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
correct test with the reg connector disconnected is to check with an ac voltmeter,at approx 3K test wire a-b.a-c and b-c.readings should be in 40-70v range if stator is good, common on LTD's and SEI's is for problems also at the regulaor and the starter solenoid connector because of the higher charging current
donpauli likes this.

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoracer View Post
correct test with the reg connector disconnected is to check with an ac voltmeter,at approx 3K test wire a-b.a-c and b-c.readings should be in 40-70v range if stator is good, common on LTD's and SEI's is for problems also at the regulaor and the starter solenoid connector because of the higher charging current
I also tested it as you described and everything checked out correctly.

I did figure out how to check the voltage regulator ... and it failed. Had continuity between green and one of the yellows on the voltage regulator when I shouldn't (pos to green, neg to yellow ==> no continuity on two yellows, but continuity on other yellow)

Sooo ... looks like I need a new voltage regulator. Which brings me to my next question: Since it's an LTD, do I absolutely have to get a voltage regulator for an LTD, or can I put in one from an Aspencade?? (can certainly do a workaround with connector differences)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 12:01 PM

Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I have a brand new Electro Sport esr570 in the box that I bought for my LTD last year, that I would sell. But you need to check all your connectors and wiring before you buy the Regulator. I thought I needed a regulator but it turned out to be bad connectors. Someone had did the splice job on the 3 yellow wires and hadn't done it very good. Also check the connectors at the regulator and wire them solid . If you want this Regulator you can have it for $80.00. Check it out on there Web site. One more thing, I think the 3 wires that go thru the loom probably need to be bigger, those wire's get really hot to the regulator and coming out of the regulator. The regulator get to hot to touch when the bike is running and there is not enough air flow around it under the false tank. I know there is a lot of people on here that won't agree with me on this but this is my thoughts. The LTD has a better stator that puts out more juice but the wiring is the same as the other bikes. I sold my LTD so I don't need the Regulator.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:03 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2bmrd View Post
I've got a 1985 GL1200 LTD that I picked up last summer. Seems to have a charging problem. Initially I assumed it was likely the stator. Ran the stator through the usual tests and it appears to be OK. I get ~5.5V coming out of each of the three yellow wires when the bike is running.
That test is absolutely useless. Even a bad stator can show DC voltage there.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 03:42 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
We should have a sticky for the correct way to test a stator...

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
That test is absolutely useless. Even a bad stator can show DC voltage there.
Which is why I said above that I DID test AC voltage between 3 yellow yellow wires and got correct voltage.

The stator is fine. The voltage regulator is not.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Which is why I said above that I DID test AC voltage between 3 yellow yellow wires and got correct voltage.

Before you condemn the regulator do the continuity check on the stator as no load AC voltage can be misleading.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
Before you condemn the regulator do the continuity check on the stator as no load AC voltage can be misleading.
I have also done that.

Again, the voltage regulator should NOT have continuity both directions between a yellow and green. It does. Bad voltage regulator.

Sooo ... now to find an LTD/SEi voltage regulator. Do I go used OEM (there's a couple on eBay) or one of the aftermarkets? Anybody got good/bad experiences with the ElectroSport ESR570 on an LTD or SEi?

Last edited by doc2bmrd; 05-02-2017 at 06:14 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:22 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:

Sooo ... now to find an LTD/SEi voltage regulator. Do I go used OEM (there's a couple on eBay) or one of the aftermarkets? Anybody got good/bad experiences with the ElectroSport ESR570 on an LTD or SEi?
I would say buy the one Jerry Burns offered.
Ken Bergen likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page