LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: SE
Garage
Now what's going on....

Bike has been running just fine-until today going in to work. It just suddenly lost power. Still runs but gutless. Seems to idle smoothly, not like it lost a cylinder. Also seems to be a little sporadic, at one point it started to run like normal but then lost it again and stayed the rest of the way to work, about 8 miles. Got to work and decided to just cycle the key on/off. Then it wouldn't start, I mean the starter did not spin. Lights and everything were there. Pulled the right side cover off, checked battery connections and the wires, still wouldn't start. Kept hitting the start button and it started finally. Now I have been fighting that button for a different reason, headlight, but can't imagine that would make it run gutless. So what could be the problem? I first thought fuel but now.. I just don't know what to think.
Since, I've bought this bike, it has been some work but now starting to get a real sinking feeling. Looking at the local board, not too many goldwings for sale. Seriously thinking about just letting this one go and spend a little more for a better one. The two I would consider have closer to 100k miles, and a third has 35k miles. Didn't want to buy a project but looks like I did. Oh yeah, there's also a 01 for $2000 on the same board, that's gotta be a typo or a scam. Not much info given on it. Haven't had a text back to confirm.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
101421 miles as of 091418
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
If it were me I would look at the ignition-cruise relay. If the relay points have high resistance the bike could display those symptoms. they have a reputation. Might change the tail-main as it to fails more than the rest.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:47 PM

Model: 2006 Level 2 Gold Wing
Sounds tome like you could be fighting several problems at the same time. Dirty kill switch, and possible plugged fuel filter. Split the halves of the kill switch cover and try spraying the switch with CRC Qr Electronic Cleaner. Depending on what is in the gas tank, a new filter can plug up quickly. Also, check for plugged up vent on gas cap, Does it run better if you take gas cap off and replace? Remove gas cap and soak it in Seafoam overnight. Blow out with compressed air.next day Use the rest of Seafoam 4 ounces at a time every fillup, Hey....its man made and is going to give problems from time to time what ever you get.
gumbyred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:18 PM

Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Can you explain this a little bit more "Lights and everything were there"?
When you push the start button, does the headlight turn off?
Do you see the oil pressure light on when you turn the key on?
Do the horn, turn signal lights work?
Do you see the "cruise on" light when you turn the kill switch on?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:43 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
The kill switch does not affect the starter on a 94.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
I think you should isolate if it is fuel related or electrical related.

You could check the fuel filter, replace if needed. If that doesn't get results, bypass the auto fuel shut-off valve. You could also check the vacuum line to the auto fuel shut-off valve.

I suspect your no start at work was related to a faulty starter switch. This did not cause the loss of power. Sometimes if the starter switch is faulty, it will not activate if you push it all the way but will activate if you just push it very lightly. BTDT....!

If the Kill switch was faulty, it would probably quit running not just start loosing power and keep on running.

Just a few thoughts but it does not sound like an electrical issue to me.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
On the way home for lunch she ran flawlessly. Full power, started up instantly. Whatever it is it's intermittent and those are the worst kind. Today was probably the warmest day I've ever ridden her. When I got home I see steam from under the handlebars. The overflow bottle is running over. I pulled the rad cap. Looked like it needed anti freeze. Barely took an ounce and up to the neck. Started it up, and the bottle overflowed again. Fans did not come on but it wasn't over heating, because when I pulled the cap, it didn't shoot out or anything. The fans have come on before so I know they work. The temp gauge has never worked. I chalk this up to expansion, the hose and elbow are new so that system does work. I have made the decision to sell it now while it runs as good as it can. Besides, theres a 2000 for sale for a reasonable price that I've got my eye on. Going to look at it tonight.
I too, think it's fuel related, and was thinking fuel filter, have no clue how old it is. And the starter switch is a subject of another thread I started on here not long ago but was affecting the headlight, now this.. It's beginning to be another Christine, which is why I'm saying goodbye to it. Originally, when I first got it, it was to be a flipper, due to the price. Then I warmed up to it and thought I'd keep it, now i'm seeing the reason why it was sold so cheaply, it has issues that I'm not willing to deal with.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

Last edited by wilmo; 05-09-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling errors
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdeniz Umman View Post
Can you explain this a little bit more "Lights and everything were there"?
When you push the start button, does the headlight turn off?
Do you see the oil pressure light on when you turn the key on?
Do the horn, turn signal lights work?
Do you see the "cruise on" light when you turn the kill switch on?
Yes and sometimes it doesn't turn back on
Yes
Yes
Yes

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
I'm going to end this thread with an announcement: I bought the 2000 25th anni wing. Went and test drove it last night and, well it just felt right. Had no problem walking right up to 80 mph without hesitation. Has much better feeling brakes, no wobble and a vent in the windshield, what a great idea that is. Got it for $4900 has 98k miles on it, just broke in. The color is white with a kinda green panel. This one has service records and, Dunlop E4's. They have 4k miles on them. Not a fan of Dunlop as you know but maybe E4's will change my mind. No sign of cupping at this point. The stereo works on this one. However it does not have back rest or arm rests. I'll transfer that from the 94, along with my light bar. I'll post pictures to the garage when I get it later tonight and that will be a new post in a different forum.
Needless to say, the blue one is now for sale while it runs well. Last night I ran a check on the VIN on that one. Seems it was stolen once, back in '98 and was found wrecked. That explains the dent in the gas tank. It wasn't totaled but the title does state that mileage is not verifiable. The body panels on the left side have different mfg dates than the right side. There's these little 'clocks' with the year in the middle and 12 ticks with an arrow pointing to one of these ticks. The left panels are all over the place in years but the rights are all '93 and either 10 or 11 month. That's probably also why it didn't have rear crash bars when I bought it. I should've done that before I bought it, but like I said, it was a low price. Now I know why. I'll be happy to just get back what I got it for and it has a brand new rear tire, that I hate to give up.
So I ran the new VIN. Came back clean.
Power Guy likes this.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 AM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Sometimes if the starter switch is faulty, it will not activate if you push it all the way but will activate if you just push it very lightly.
This happens to my 99 on occasion.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page