LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:17 PM
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk

Year: 1983
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Wilcoy02
What is every one using for the crank pulley?
Are you using the key on the crank? If not how are you making sure the pulley is tight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Year: 1984
Model: Aspencade 1200
What is every one using for the crank pulley?
Because thats the power place ,where you drive the strap for the alternator .

Are you using the key on the crank? If not how are you making sure the pulley is tight?
dismantle yours,,SLOWLY and gently.you will need to take off the spark plug because of the engine compression that may twist the cam and their belt.

when you will unscreew the crank pulley BOLT,then you will see that there is a groove of about 3/16 deep for the hame made pulley too be fixed.you will need a longer bolt and a grade 8 minimum with some locktite,,,,no need too torque it like a fool.

be carefull,with the strap cam timing too

it can be done and gently.

gervais

ps english is not my language,i hoped i was,,readable
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 12:07 PM

Model: GL1200 Asp.Trike
Garage
Don is Alive and better than few yrs ago. he switched bikes to a low HD for his bad legs.
hes on Facebook ,,so a search and buy a poor boy kit from him. I have installed 2 ,waaaaaaay easier and faster than R&R of Stator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Year: 1987
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Hello Friends,

Looking into a recharging upgrade for my '87 GL1200 Interstate now that riding season is finally in sight for Central Wisconsin. I've been doing some research and it seems there are two viable routes to explore:
1. A Regulator/Rectifier upgrade like something from roadstercycle.com

or

2. This "poorboy" conversion of adding an automotive alternator to the timing belt area of the motor.

It seems like there are success stories for both. Every time I start my cycle (with only 25k miles on her) the starter seems like it barely has enough juice to turn the motor over...even after a long highway ride with high revs. Battery and stator were both replaced less than 10,000 miles ago. So I'm exploring a recharging system upgrade.

I guess I'm hoping for opinions and also access to this poorboy conversion. As the previous post mentioned, I did a facebook search but didn't find any pages or people that sell this "poorboy kit". Can someone point me in the right direction? Don't be afraid to consult, comment, add to, or persuade about the two directions I've been concluding.

Thanks!!

Wausau, WI
1987 GL1200 Interstate, 23000 miles, Purchased June 2018
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
You said absolutely nothing that makes me think you have a charging problem.

What you say might be a dirty or tired, or non OEM starter, or might simply be a bad battery. No symptoms of a charging problem.

So, my recommendation is that you take the bike to a reputable shop and have them diagnose the starter problem.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:59 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
like Dennis said,25k just isn't enough miles to have charging issues but murhys law may prevail most every one uses AGM batteries and they are STRONG.Yours is the last year for the 1200 and i think it should have the best charging of them all,the early 1200 ha most of the problems,with the melting wires.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:01 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDoubleDEE View Post
Hello Friends,

Looking into a recharging upgrade for my '87 GL1200 Interstate now that riding season is finally in sight for Central Wisconsin. I've been doing some research and it seems there are two viable routes to explore:
1. A Regulator/Rectifier upgrade like something from roadstercycle.com

or

2. This "poorboy" conversion of adding an automotive alternator to the timing belt area of the motor.

It seems like there are success stories for both. Every time I start my cycle (with only 25k miles on her) the starter seems like it barely has enough juice to turn the motor over...even after a long highway ride with high revs. Battery and stator were both replaced less than 10,000 miles ago. So I'm exploring a recharging system upgrade.

I guess I'm hoping for opinions and also access to this poorboy conversion. As the previous post mentioned, I did a facebook search but didn't find any pages or people that sell this "poorboy kit". Can someone point me in the right direction? Don't be afraid to consult, comment, add to, or persuade about the two directions I've been concluding.

Thanks!!
Did you mean to say,BATTERY AND STARTER AND NO STATOR?

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:41 PM

Year: 1987
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Texas View Post
Did you mean to say,BATTERY AND STARTER AND NO STATOR?
Nope... The battery and Stator were indeed replaced by the previous owner.

Another reason to believe that I have poor recharging, is that when sitting at a stop light with my signal on, I can see the dash lights dimming on the same cadence as my flasher relay. As if the blinking signal light bulb has that much more drain on the electrical system. Thoughts?

Wausau, WI
1987 GL1200 Interstate, 23000 miles, Purchased June 2018
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDoubleDEE View Post
Nope... The battery and Stator were indeed replaced by the previous owner.

Another reason to believe that I have poor recharging, is that when sitting at a stop light with my signal on, I can see the dash lights dimming on the same cadence as my flasher relay. As if the blinking signal light bulb has that much more drain on the electrical system. Thoughts?
That pulsating is normal. If you want a bike you need to work on, go buy a Harley or something. It sounds like you have a treasure right now.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:08 PM

Garage
Replaced parts do not necessarily mean "good" parts. Get a voltmeter and give us some battery voltage readings at idle and at 3000rpm. We can't see the electrons from here.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page