Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Port and Polish 84 Gl 1200 heads (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/642818-port-polish-84-gl-1200-heads.html)

John Langston 06-02-2017 10:18 AM

Port and Polish 84 Gl 1200 heads
 
I am wondering if anyone has any info on porting and polishing cylinder heads off of a 1984 Gl 1200? Are there any areas in the casting that are thin and need to be avoided? Do these motors respond to one port better than the other(exhaust more than intake or vise versa?). I am thankful for any and all knowledge shared. Thank you for your time!!:nerd:

AZgl1800 06-02-2017 02:05 PM

in most cases, that is wasted effort and can actually be detrimental to efficient fuel air mixing for making good horsepower.

on our Goldwings, it is not helpful at all, as the compression ratios are too low to worry about it.

and use the lowest octane number on the gas pump... the higher octanes will only build up carbon soot on the engine parts.

purplerider 06-02-2017 10:32 PM

This reminds me of an old article that ran in Cycle Magazine. The author was trying to raise the horsepower on a Yamaha TT500. The port flow was played with, by grinding them in several configurations. Their best results came from filling in the low side of the ports, around the valve guide, and taking out a bit of metal on the opposite side. Then it was tested on a flow bench. The results surprised many. Changing the radius of the port made it work better. A larger opening did nothing.

redwing52 06-03-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplerider (Post 5167466)
This reminds me of an old article that ran in Cycle Magazine. The author was trying to raise the horsepower on a Yamaha TT500. The port flow was played with, by grinding them in several configurations. Their best results came from filling in the low side of the ports, around the valve guide, and taking out a bit of metal on the opposite side. Then it was tested on a flow bench. The results surprised many. Changing the radius of the port made it work better. A larger opening did nothing.

Yeah, Like everyone is saying. Everything is a compromise. If you enlarge the port size it can slow down the air/fuel charge and the fuel can fall out of suspension at low RPM. That is the RPM we spend most of our time running. I wouldn't waste any time.

SMEDEN(=the blacksmith) 06-03-2017 01:00 PM

As it had been said , dont waste your time , - those ports are well designed and manufactured from Honda .

Rockstar 06-03-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Langston (Post 5166666)
I am wondering if anyone has any info on porting and polishing cylinder heads off of a 1984 Gl 1200? Are there any areas in the casting that are thin and need to be avoided? Do these motors respond to one port better than the other(exhaust more than intake or vise versa?). I am thankful for any and all knowledge shared. Thank you for your time!!:nerd:

First question?

Are you asking because you want more HP??.

As stated.Porting/polishing is a WOT.

Unless you intend do other things to the engine to produce noticeable HP gains.
Such as---
Taller pistons.
Higher lift cams.
Stronger/longer rods.
Different stroke crankshaft.
Replace the 4 carbs/manifold, with a single carb/manifold that is easier to re-jet.
larger diameter header/muffler system so the engine can breath better.
Etc etc etc.

In short.
These were well designed "Touring bikes" not rockets by any stretch.
If money isn't a problem, and you want a 1 off??. Then anything is "Do-able"

It's cheaper to buy a 1000cc rocket for the need for speed factor. :smile2:

Bike...and Dennis 06-03-2017 04:05 PM


John Langston 06-05-2017 12:40 PM

Thank you AzGl1800! I have only worked on cars,trucks,and various small engines up till now. I am learning about these bikes but they are very unique to say the least!

AZgl1800 06-05-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Langston (Post 5169809)
Thank you AzGl1800! I have only worked on cars,trucks,and various small engines up till now. I am learning about these bikes but they are very unique to say the least!


The Goldwings are a fairly slow turning, high torque motor.

we run them mostly below half or even a third of their max RPM....

therefore, it is just an exercise in futility to try and increase their horsepower by any means.

Pure Texas 06-05-2017 01:02 PM

I did port and polish my 82 1100,corrected the mismatched fit between the head,and polished the runners into the carb and that's all I did,nothing opened up but just matched stuff and I can't say it had more power but it did come alive after 9,000 rpm,I don't know what the motor would actually turn but 12,000 was a breeze,a mechanic in Apache Junction Az Jim had an 83 ( I think) that he had twin Weber on it and had a 15000 rpm limiter on it,he had been a wing mechanic for a long time,I don't know if the motor had been worked on.
So I would agree with the rest on not gaining any hp but the fun factor of a fast wing was awsome.AZ1800 might have seen the bike


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome