1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rednaxs60

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
UJoint Question Help Please

Ok guys I have narrowed down my noise coming form the lower end of bike. My ujoint is loose, I am awaiting my tool to
take off that darn nut on the left side so I can drop the swing arm to get ujoint out. when I get it out can the UJOINT be replaced
or do I have to replace the entire joint and knuckle and if so can I get a new one or have to get off ebay or someplace else.
I am having withdraws not being able to ride the old girl and my girl is about to wip my butt she wants to ride to.
Please help.

Patriot Guard Rider #144639

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 05:41 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Unfortunately, there are probably no new u-joints for a 1200 out there, non that I have found. Lots of used ones.

You mention that you have a loose u-joint, is it the u-joint or the splines? You can also have an issue with the splines on the prop shaft, weak prop shaft springs, final drive pinion joint splines, final drive pinion joint bearing being worn (had to replace mine when I bought my bike 19 months ago). The cush dampers in the rear wheel could be worn.

There was a thread on a fix for the u-joint issue. The fellow took the old u-joint out of the housing, had the housing machined to accept c-clips much like a car and installed an aftermarket u-joint. He found the NEAPCO P/N 1-0745 or the Quality Gear P/N 5-0400QG was a direct replacement. Here is the PDF on the work he did.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GL1200 universal joint repair.pdf (328.1 KB, 21 views)
CrystalPistol likes this.

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:14 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Seems like the u-joint should come out without removing the swing arm.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
Guys I wish the joint would come out there is just not enough room for it to come out. and yes the ujoint is bad it has slap in the joint.
I guess I will try to get one off the net. thanks for the info.

Patriot Guard Rider #144639

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
Unfortunately, there are probably no new u-joints for a 1200 out there, non that I have found. Lots of used ones.

You mention that you have a loose u-joint, is it the u-joint or the splines? You can also have an issue with the splines on the prop shaft, weak prop shaft springs, final drive pinion joint splines, final drive pinion joint bearing being worn (had to replace mine when I bought my bike 19 months ago). The cush dampers in the rear wheel could be worn.

There was a thread on a fix for the u-joint issue. The fellow took the old u-joint out of the housing, had the housing machined to accept c-clips much like a car and installed an aftermarket u-joint. He found the NEAPCO P/N 1-0745 or the Quality Gear P/N 5-0400QG was a direct replacement. Here is the PDF on the work he did.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bob Henshaw is also the fellow that was making rear wheel drive cushions for the GL1200.

At first the cushions were (You send him your wheel and he would install them) for, $180CAD. He would also bush the right wheel bearing bore for $50CAD if needed.

If I remember correctly management changed and he was no longer allowed to do after hours work in the machine shop.

I don't know if he's still selling the drive cushions.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:41 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
Bob Henshaw is also the fellow that was making rear wheel drive cushions for the GL1200.

At first the cushions were (You send him your wheel and he would install them) for, $180CAD. He would also bush the right wheel bearing bore for $50CAD if needed.

If I remember correctly management changed and he was no longer allowed to do after hours work in the machine shop.

I don't know if he's still selling the drive cushions.
Ken - talked to Bob Henshaw a while back regarding the cush bushings. I now have his kit to make these bushings - would have to source the rubber compound to suit. There are a few sets already done up.

He also included the gig to do the u-joint replacement and to upgrade the 84-85 rear wheel bearing to the 86-87 sleeved bearing upgrade.

Have a set of the cush dampers here with me. Still working on getting the kit out here from my brother's place in Ontario - quite heavy but working on a possible solution.

Also learned that he put a 1000 rear wheel rotor onto a 1200 - same size rotor. He removed the rotors from the centre piece and installed the 1000 rotor on the 1200 centre piece with new rivets. Have these as well.

In browsing these forums, have not read where the cush dampers in the 1200 rear wheels are that much of an issue, but know these can be. Have read about upgrading the bearing situation but machining is required, as is the case with the u-joint replacement as well.

Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page