'78 GL1000 clutch issue - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1978
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000
'78 GL1000 clutch issue

The clutch won't engage so I took off the cable housing and pushed up on the clutch lever. Clutch still won't engage. I did notice about 1/8" of play (in and out not side to side) at the bolt insertion point. Is this normal? Any thoughts on clutch not engaging? Clutch basket and plates were replaced by previous owner this past year and I do have them.

Side note: I replaced the clutch lever as the one on the bike had stripped threads at the cable adjuster. When I unwrapped the electrical tape, the wire broke off. The wire is too short to reach the male plug now so it looks like I will be splicing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:31 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I have a feeling you mean the clutch won't disengage. loosen the cable completely, loosen the nut in the picture, turn the screw in (clockwise) until you feel resistance, back the screw out 3/4 turn, tighten the nut, adjust the cable.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:05 AM

Year: 1977, et al
Model: Gl1000/1200
What he said. If the nut isn't tight enough, it can slip and be completely out of range to disengage. I had it happen. Nerve racking to tighten it enough for fear of breaking it. When mine went, I had to ride three miles through city and twenty-some lights. Got it rolling, shifted it in gear on the fly, slowed way down and crept up on every red light. Made it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:13 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekvh1 View Post
What he said. If the nut isn't tight enough, it can slip and be completely out of range to disengage. I had it happen. Nerve racking to tighten it enough for fear of breaking it. When mine went, I had to ride three miles through city and twenty-some lights. Got it rolling, shifted it in gear on the fly, slowed way down and crept up on every red light. Made it!
The nut shouldn't really have to be that tight, all it does is keep the screw from turning.
My first motorcycle, when I was 14, I rode quite a while with a broken cable because I couldn't afford one. That's why I think to this day if you can't ride without a clutch, you can't ride.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1978
Model: GL1000
Well, it's going to get ugly. I did adjust and adjust and adjust the clutch but that didn't work. Then I cussed and did it some more. Guess I will be pulling it. I will be buying a lift in the next week or two. Then I will post an update. On another note, I just drained the oil and it smells like straight up gas. I won't be riding anytime soon.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page