NO BUYERS, so I guess we start working on Cherri-leigh again! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1986
Make: Goldwing
Model: Interstate
Garage
Unhappy NO BUYERS, so I guess we start working on Cherri-leigh again!

Well, over the winter finances got hard so I put the Mistress, Cherri-leigh, up to the reasonable bidder. My Cherri-leigh still sits here by my side, sick as hell, just waiting on me to get her road-worthy again. Haven't fully decided on the plan yet. I have her stripped naked, just waiting on the funding.
The dilema: Cherri-leigh is running a poorboy, and in addition to that, the flange bolts for the starter were snapped by the p/o. The clutch needs work. The carbs need done. and the battery isn't holding the charge.

I'm kinda leaning on just getting a rebuilt engine. If I finish stripping her to the frame I'll cut a little more cost out. I could also get a Standard set up and forgo the bags and trunk, but I would really like the full dress.

What say you guys/gals?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1493243149145.jpg (33.8 KB, 32 views)

Eric S Stevenson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Where can you find a "rebuilt engine" ? It is possible to find low milage bike parted out on fleabay.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Pop, this is a tough one. You have to decide what to do with the bike. For me it all about what you want in the end. There is no such thing as a cheap Goldwing. You can rebuild your bike and easily get up to $2000 or more, or you can sell it cheap and get another problem child for that much money. Rebuilding takes time money and effort. The skills will come if you are dedicated. Make a decision, get started, post your progress and we will help as much as possible.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 AM

Garage
It's still a 1200 no matter how much money you put into it. Not a big demand for the 1200 Wing. Unless you plan on keeping it for a long time to get your money out of it you might try selling it for parts if there are good body parts and wheels on it. You can get a nice 1500 wing for about 4 -$4500. I just passed on a 2000 SE with 34000 miles on it and a bunch of extras for $4000

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1986
Model: Interstate
Garage
This is my first bike. Got it for my 40th birthday. I may just part it out. I'm going window shopping today for a little. 2 years and my kids are grown, I want to be out riding.

Eric S Stevenson
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 03:17 PM
Toolcraft4100

Year: 1991
Model: '91 Aspencade
Pop, not sure why you are thinking of a rebuilt engine. You can rebuild your carbs and I imagine you can find a starter on Ebay or somewhere. Seems strange that you have the PB alternator and still have charging issues, but it could be a bad battery or a half-dozen other things. The issues you describe sound like things that members of this forum could sort out with you.
The bike is worth more to you right now than it would be to any potential buyer. Parting it out sounds to me like more work than restoring it. I say take it one step at a time and get that 1200 back on the road!

toolcraft4100
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page