81 gl1100 still pushing too much fuel in cylinder - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

81 gl1100 still pushing too much fuel in cylinder

Hi, my gl1100 is still metering out too much fuel into the 2 and 4 cylinders. It'll idle on the other side but is just waaay too much fuel to fire until I rev the bike up past 2500 rpms. Then it'll fire but still spray lots of unburnt fuel out the pipe. Anyone have ideas?

Oh, and does anyone have leads where I can purchase the press in slow idle jets for my '81 1100..? Maybe need carb #4 as well.. I see ebay has the screw in jets but not the press in ones... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
You still have float/float valve problems.
If you will fill in your profile with where you live I'll go look and see if I have what you need. Might bring them to you if you happen to be in my area.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
You still have float/float valve problems.
If you will fill in your profile with where you live I'll go look and see if I have what you need. Might bring them to you if you happen to be in my area.
Didn't see anything in profile setting to list my location, otherwise i would have. I live in Portland Oregon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:10 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkz View Post
Hi, my gl1100 is still metering out too much fuel into the 2 and 4 cylinders. It'll idle on the other side but is just waaay too much fuel to fire until I rev the bike up past 2500 rpms. Then it'll fire but still spray lots of unburnt fuel out the pipe. Anyone have ideas?

Oh, and does anyone have leads where I can purchase the press in slow idle jets for my '81 1100..? Maybe need carb #4 as well.. I see ebay has the screw in jets but not the press in ones... Thanks!
You might very well be correct but what can happen is this. It can be very misleading but it happens when a bike is LEAN. The mixture can be too lean to fire. It's getting fuel but lean mixtures are hard to fire. Especially with an older point style ignition system. If the fuel comes in and it is too lean to fire it will just be dumped in to the exhaust where it will smoke and stink like crazy. It can also fuel foul the plugs.
I would try this. Clean all the plugs or replace them. Let the bike sit overnight. With the known good plugs will the bike start with little or no choke? If it starts with no choke it is probably rich. If it starts with no choke does it run better if you create a vacuum leak? (lean out the rich mixture)
If it needs lots of choke when it warms and starts to act up does it like a little choke left on? You have to do these "tests" as quickly as you can. You need to get them done before there is an opportunity to foul the plugs again.This should give you a better clue just to be sure. You might very well be correct about it running rich. Just don't let it fool you. Don't forget basis either. Do the two cylinders in question have reasonable compression? Are they getting good spark?
Dave, are you going to deliver those parts to Oregon? Nice ride from Arkansas to Oregon.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Didn't see anything in profile setting to list my location, otherwise i would have. I live in Portland Oregon..
Click on tools, user CP, edit details, then scroll down to add info.
Portland is a little far for a day ride but I'll look for some jets.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:

I fixed your location

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Quote:

I fixed your location
Thanks!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 01:06 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Thought I had some press in jets but if I do I can't find them.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Thought I had some press in jets but if I do I can't find them.
Hey, thanks for looking all the same. Appreciate it!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
Quote:

You might very well be correct but what can happen is this. It can be very misleading but it happens when a bike is LEAN. The mixture can be too lean to fire. It's getting fuel but lean mixtures are hard to fire. Especially with an older point style ignition system. If the fuel comes in and it is too lean to fire it will just be dumped in to the exhaust where it will smoke and stink like crazy. It can also fuel foul the plugs.
I would try this. Clean all the plugs or replace them. Let the bike sit overnight. With the known good plugs will the bike start with little or no choke? If it starts with no choke it is probably rich. If it starts with no choke does it run better if you create a vacuum leak? (lean out the rich mixture)
If it needs lots of choke when it warms and starts to act up does it like a little choke left on? You have to do these "tests" as quickly as you can. You need to get them done before there is an opportunity to foul the plugs again.This should give you a better clue just to be sure. You might very well be correct about it running rich. Just don't let it fool you. Don't forget basis either. Do the two cylinders in question have reasonable compression? Are they getting good spark?
Dave, are you going to deliver those parts to Oregon? Nice ride from Arkansas to Oregon.
Don't think it's running lean. Checked the basics (compression, etc..) and it's all good, set the float with a gas IV to make sure it was cutting flow off at the proper height. At this point I'm dead in the water till I find an idle jet or carb to pull one out of anyways...
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page