1980 gl1100 overheats within 5 minutes - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
Good point Dennis but the head gasket would address the overheating and all other symptoms. It's good to be sure but I bet it will be a head gasket. Not likely it has three problems when one could be responsible for all 3 symptoms.
Exactly a failing water pump can look like a head gasket has failed and a water pump that is failing can and will blow a head gasket.

If it were me I'd spend the extra hundred bucks and replace that water pump at the same time.

In fact I'd replaced the water pump and see if your problems go away before I change the head gaskets.

Anyway it sounds like you're not going to change the water pump so just remember in a few months from now when you're in the same situation change the water pump while you're replacing the head gaskets again.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 PM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
A compression check on the engine would go a long way towards determining if there is a bad head gasket. You can probably even borrow a compression gauge from the local auto parts store.
OldSchool_IsCool likes this.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page