Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Crankshaft/ timing belt gears (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/645793-crankshaft-timing-belt-gears.html)

Wilcoy02 07-11-2017 08:35 PM

Crankshaft/ timing belt gears

Can the gears for the timing belt be welded to the cam shaft?
One of the gears has a 1/8 inch play. This is enough to give me an engine knock.

The key ways have been worn down. I do not see a way to redo the key ways.

So I have thought about getting a welder to weld the gear to the shaft.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ken Bergen 07-11-2017 08:42 PM

I believe the sprocket/gear is aluminum and the camshaft is steal so welding is not going to happen.:surprise:

Wilcoy02 07-11-2017 08:57 PM

any suggestions of how to fix the key ways?

Bike...and Dennis 07-11-2017 09:04 PM

So, is it the pulley that's worn or the cam?

Ekvh1 07-11-2017 09:52 PM

I think you could shim them with tempered steel.

Turn the pulley so its left keyway edge is tight against the key, you should be able to tighten the holding bolt and have no play. All the force is rotational from the crank pulley, so if the bolt is tight, it shouldn't be able to move around.

Wes Scott 07-11-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilcoy02 (Post 5225721)
any suggestions of how to fix the key ways?

You are sure the key ways are bad and that some previous owner did not put in an undersize key?

Wilcoy02 07-11-2017 11:10 PM

I do not see how any of the key have been replaced. If I could do that what size and how do I get the old key out?

Erdeniz Umman 07-12-2017 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilcoy02 (Post 5225873)
I do not see how any of the key have been replaced. If I could do that what size and how do I get the old key out?

Here is a picture of the key found in partzilla for your bike.

Wilcoy02 07-12-2017 12:07 PM

Thanks for the pic.

HOW do I get the old keys out?

Wes Scott 07-12-2017 07:33 PM

With the slop you have described you should be able to slide the gear off without any problems after the bolt is removed.

To remove the key from the shaft, a small hammer and a punch should let you GENTLY tap it out of the groove. The moon shaped key should start coming out if you tap staight back on it. I prefer trying to tap at an angle to pop the front edge upward. Also sometimes helpful is to use a small screwdriver once the key starts lifting to get between the key and the shaft.

Be careful not to drive anything too hard and damage the seals around the shaft.