9Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1981
Make: GL1100
Thumbs up New to this - Needing Some Help

Hey Guys,

New to the club, but have been a part of the Goldwing crew for a couple years now.
Got My 81 GL1100 handed down to me from my pops, but let's just say it wasn't in good shape to start with. He lives down at the Oregon Coast, and after running into some issues with the bike, he decided to just park it in a shed and get a new one instead. So after letting it sit for a few years, he decided to tell me that I could have it if I wanted, but I had to take it as is.

She had plenty of problems, so I slowly started taking it apart to start from scratch. The process was a bit of a nightmare, but after about a solid year of non stop working on it over the weekends, I finally got it to a point where I was able to ride it around comfortably.

Last summer I was riding it out from Troutdale to Corbett Oregon, and as I was coming up a fairly steep hill I began to lose all power. It was a little strange, I kept down shifting but eventually got to a point where it just straight up died when I pulled over. I was under the impression that maybe it overheated or something (it was rather hot) so I just let it sit for a while before trying to get it to start back up. She didn't want to budge, so I had someone come pick me up with a trailer. I ended up parking it at my buddies house for a while, I was just too exhausted to deal with another issue like that.

I went to check on it one day and noticed that the oil was pretty low. I topped it off, drained the gas and filled it back up. At that point I was able to get it started back up, and she just ran a little rough for a while. I let it idle for a bit, and then shut it off. Came back to it a couple hours later, started it back up, and was able to keep it running. There was a little bit of a knocking noise coming from it, but I couldn't really pin point where that was coming from. I road it around my buddies property for a little while, then decided that it was time to take her home. I was riding home (short ride) when I got a little more then half way and ran into the same problem I had before. It was running fine, then reached a point where I lost pretty much all of my power.
At this point I was in a pretty bad area, and the thought of trying to get a trailer there for me to load up on was pretty much impossible. I was able to feather the clutch and keep it running, however I was stuck riding in the bike lane at a monsterous 8 mph. Just about the time I was turning the corner to my block, she died. I was able to shift it into neutral and just coast my way to the driveway.
My poor bike has sat there ever since, because honestly its too damn heavy to push up my driveway by myself, and I sort of lost my patience with it.

I know that this is a bit of a long shot, but I am hoping that maybe this is something that would be fairly cheap and simple to fix. I have been playing with the idea of just selling it on Craigslist for a couple hundred dollars to get it out of my life, but before I do that I figure I should ask around for some advice. If I can get it running again on my own, for pretty cheap, then maybe it'll be worth my time.

Let me know what you guys think!!

-Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum.
congrats on the classic wing.
The poor bike has probably been sitting for a long time with gas in the carbs, and they'll have to be removed and cleaned, possibly rebuilt. Once you have that done you'll want to sync all 4 carbs. Timing belts and all fluids. If you have the time and patience, you'll have a nice bike when done.
I'm going to bring the thread over to the technical section where it will get more attention.
limpy45 and JStuie like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:24 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Hello Jesse and Welcome to the forum family. My first thought is the vent hole in the gas cap is plugged and the tank slowly forms a vacuum and fuel does not flow . IF you open the tank cap do you hear air rush in ? Give it another ride and when it starts to lose power open the gas cap and see if that affects the symptoms.
Post your problem in the "Technical forum" and you should have more response.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 PM
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk

Year: 1983
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Wilcoy02
Check your coils. When they warm up could be giving you problems.
JStuie likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Welcome to The Forum.

After reading your first post I believe that your fuel filter is either plugged or the fuel pump itself is beginning to fail. The very slow way it lost power but you we're able to keep going could be an indicator of a fuel problem.

Of course an ignition issue could always be the problem if that's the case it's most likely the pulse generators.

Loud ticking noise is indicating that the fuel pump could be working hard because the fuel filter is plugged.
JStuie likes this.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
A cheap way to test my theory as far as it being a fuel related issue would be to bypass both the fuel pump and the fuel filter using a piece of Hose a cheap lawnmower fuel filter some type of bottle or container to hold the gas above the carburetors.

If you can fashion it in the safe maner you could then take it for a spin and see what happens.

Just please do use some type of fuel filter.

And remember to shut off any gas flow that may be coming from the fuel filter because obviously it was running so it will leak it just may not be enough fuel to keep the bike running.

Btw how much fuel is in the tank?
JStuie likes this.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 PM

Model: 2006 Level 2 Gold Wing
Is the battery charged, connections clean and tight? How old is the battery? What is the stator charging at while running?
gumbyred
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 01:49 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
My first thought was filter, too. Or maybe a kinked fuel that folds up more when it gets hot.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Oh, and please edit your profile to include the state. Believe it, or not, someone from Portland, Maine may not know where Troutdale is.
JStuie likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1981
Make: GL1100
Great, you guys have all given me a few things to dig into and check first.
I am going to start knocking some of these off my list this weekend and see if we can get her back on the road. It's been over a year now, and the weather is nice here in Oregon. I need to get out and ride!

Thank you guys for all the pointers, I will be sure to check back in once I start digging into this stuff. I should have done this a long time ago!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:19 PM

Year: 183 BC
Make: Not telling how much money I make!
Model: I don't have a model, I ride the real thing!

Suck it up buttercup!
If global warming were true, then why do we have so many snowflakes everywhere!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page