Jim's 1985 GL1200I - The Diva hits the road, ride report - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
1. I have not checked the fuel flow. It would be a good idea to do that.
2. The pickup screen is clear and i ran an old speedometer cable up the fuel pickup tube.

It doesn't feel like a starvation problem to me. I've had starvation problems before and the roughness was more related to engine load. In this case it is much more linear. The engine gets rougher as the RPMs increase. More like an ignition problem. I will be looking at diaphragms this weekend.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 02:11 AM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Did you need to change the float hight?

The ignition system consists of pulse generators that send a signal to a ignition control module that sends a signal to the coils to fire the spark plugs.

From what I've read if your problem is not in the fuel then it's going to be with the valves or maybe a bent crankshaft from hydrostatic lock.

Perhaps a bad spark plug could be causing the issue?

Typically when the pulse generators fail the engine starts missing when it's hot and runs correctly when it's cool. Often the first sign is when bike is shut off to get fuel and then will not restart very well or runs really rough if it does restart. The same is relatively true for the coils.

The ignition control module when it fails can cause various problems that tend to come and go.

The fact that you said it gets more pronounced as the RPMs increase makes me wonder if it's not there all the time even at idle.

I still think it's lack of fuel flow, a plugged jet, or not enough fuel in the bowl/s.

Did you remove the pilot jets when cleaning the carbs?

You stated in post 16 the engine runs fine with the choke on.
JamesPal likes this.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Average Goldwing Rider

Jeff, thanks for the run down on how the ignition problems present themselves. I confident the floats are correct. I know how to measure stuff, I spent 31 years in Boeing QA and I'm not a nube to the Keihin CV carburetors. However this is the first set of the diaphragm style Keihin CV carbs. Yes I pulled the pilot screws and made sure the pilot air passageways and all other passageways were clear. Carbs were ultrasonically cleaned.
My diaphragms were not torn, but they had shrunk quite a bit and I had a heck of a time getting them installed. If it is a carb problem I would expect the diaphragms.
If this doesn't cure it I will pull the carbs and go through them again. I didn't take apart the exhaust air system. I will look at the reed valves. I don't know if it matters much, when the carbs were off the o-rings for the exhaust air fittings were pretty bad and those were not changed. More to come.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Average Goldwing Rider

Update time, yesterday I pulled the airfilter out and did the test shown in the FSM, page 4-20 - Secondary Air System Inspection. I didn't do the vacuum check. The engine was started with the airfilter out. There clearly was exhaust pulsing through the secondary exhaust port. This would indicated one or more of the check valves was leaking. There was also carbon around the port. The FSM says to check the check valves for carbon buildup. I didn't look at the check valves when I did the carbs.
Another thing, I took the bike out to the Grange in Issaquah, WA. The Grange is a feed store that sells E-0 fuel. I put a tank of 92 octane in and immediately the bike was running better. Washington mandates very crappy fuel during the summer in the Seattle area. I may be dealing with multiple issues.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: 1984 Goldwing Aspencade
Garage
James - sounds like you're going through *exactly* what I went through.

I measured the float levels to a gnat's whisker, 7.5mm. Multiple times. That yielded 38ml-41ml in my bowls.

On another forum I read that they should have 1.5oz of fuel and figured why not try that. Everything else checked out right. 1.5oz is (after I got clued in here and double-checked - thanks guys!) 44.36ml. After I set mine to 45ml, I'm running fantastic. I've got the slightest miss at WOT, but other than that she pulls like a beast and is smooth throughout the range. First tank, including considerable idling and a mix of curves and highway ridden aggressively yielded 33mpg, which seems to be in the right range.

I had to measure to about 5.5mm (without depressing the pin) to get that in my rack. Easy to bench test for both volume and symmetry.

Good luck!

1974 Honda CB350F
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1985 Yamaha XV750 Virago
2005 Harley-Davidson VRSCA Vrod
1984 Honda GL1200A Aspencade
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:49 PM

Garage
With just a quick run through on the thread, I'd be more inclined to agree with Jeff. Sounds like you're starving for fuel with a wide/wider open throttle. Do a VOLUME test on the fuel pump per the manual. I'm south of you in Olympia. I don't have fuel issues.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 02:55 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
Jamespal,is your air filter housing standard issue and has been modified,a friend of mine decided his 1200 wasent getting enough air so he drilled a bunch of holes in the housing and it ran awful at high rpm but normal at lower speeds,I taped over all his holes and it came back to normal operation,

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: 1984 Goldwing Aspencade
Garage
IF you've already done the volume test (I had, but even swapped out the pump in case it was getting hot and losing flow), I'd agree it's likely too lean as the demand grows. I adjusted the floats to get 1.5oz in the bowls on my GL1200A and it's running great. Still not quite perfection, but a drastic improvement. Not easy, but cheap to try. I was able to adjust, close 'em up, drain on the bench and measure, until I got it where I wanted it.

1974 Honda CB350F
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1985 Yamaha XV750 Virago
2005 Harley-Davidson VRSCA Vrod
1984 Honda GL1200A Aspencade
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Average Goldwing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Texas View Post
Jamespal,is your air filter housing standard issue and has been modified,a friend of mine decided his 1200 wasent getting enough air so he drilled a bunch of holes in the housing and it ran awful at high rpm but normal at lower speeds,I taped over all his holes and it came back to normal operation,
Airfilter housing is stock but I am running an aftermarket filter. This could be part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberwiper View Post
IF you've already done the volume test (I had, but even swapped out the pump in case it was getting hot and losing flow), I'd agree it's likely too lean as the demand grows. I adjusted the floats to get 1.5oz in the bowls on my GL1200A and it's running great. Still not quite perfection, but a drastic improvement. Not easy, but cheap to try. I was able to adjust, close 'em up, drain on the bench and measure, until I got it where I wanted it.
I'm going to set my floats to 5.5 mm and see what happens. I was once told you are always better off to be a little rich than lean It keeps the holes out of the pistons at the cost of some fouled plugs. My fuel pump is new, but ai will check it.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
Airfilter housing is stock but I am running an aftermarket filter. This could be part of the problem.
K&N perchance?

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page