Won't start after working on carbs - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

7Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200se
Imagine that you have the carb in the normal position as if it were on the bike. The fuel bowls are empty so the needle and seat are open of course. Imagine a hose connected to the inlet. You could blow through it easily. So keep blowing as you rotate the carb slowly upside down. At some point the float will drop on the seat and JUST stop you from blowing. That is the exact point at which you need to set float height.

Ok [redwing52] Please bear with me.... To set floats have carbs. setting JUST LIKE carbs would be setting on the m/c...

Remove float bowls and blow through hose connected to the inlet to carbs. ["one & four"] as same hose service ONLY these two carbs. At some point the float will drop on the seats and will stop you from blowing through float valve. That is the exact point at which you need to set float height. I than do the same to carbs. [2 & 3] as they have a different inlet??

Am I CLOSER to understanding??????

Retired now and Fired Up to make new friends and see new sights. Ya be look'n for the RV.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I think all are on the same page.

Position the carbs so that the float base is now vertical, instead of horizontal as it will be when installed on the bike.

Clamp it softly in a vise, and rotate the carb so that the float's needle just closes and stops air from flowing thru..... or stops fuel from leaking thru... ( messy way to do it )

That point is where you take the measurement, you can't have any of the float's weight on the needle, that is why you must do it vertically, not horizontally. ( having it clamped in a vise allows you to make a very accurate measurement )
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! Not sure when I can attack the carburetors, as wife [Nancy] Wednesday having knee replacement... Will let one and all know how the carburetors come out.. As for now this dancing is asking
for her surgery.... Richard S.

Retired now and Fired Up to make new friends and see new sights. Ya be look'n for the RV.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:06 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering New Trails View Post
Thank you! Not sure when I can attack the carburetors, as wife [Nancy] Wednesday having knee replacement... Will let one and all know how the carburetors come out.. As for now this dancing is asking
for her surgery.... Richard S.
I had both knees replaced simultaneously in 2012. It's a great procedure, and mine turned out perfect. Just follow the surgeon and PT peoples instructions, and all will go well. She'll be thrilled with the results.
BTW.....I swear no one told me that Hydrocodone or pain pills in general will stop you up like a brick wall (constipation). I only found out a couple of years later when I overheard a pharmacist friend talking at a bar having beers. Laxatives are your friend. It's amazing a human body can continue to consume food for days without anything exiting the opposite end.
Now....if the rest of my body would stop falling apart, I'd be good to go.
AZgl1800, corkya and JeffMayfield like this.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Called it quit's

Tried several more times to fix carbs. floats.... No go.
So took carbs to C&R Shop, and will pay the $400.00

Thanks all that tried to help...

Richard S.

post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
I am begining to wonder if fuel is the issue. Running bad is more typical of f;aot issues but I certainly think one of the trys it would have at least started? Are you sure you have spark?

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
I am begining to wonder if fuel is the issue. Running bad is more typical of f;aot issues but I certainly think one of the trys it would have at least started? Are you sure you have spark?
Yes I do have a spark [not a big flashing spark but a true spark].
When ever I spray starter fluid m/c runs fine..

I checked for spark at right front and also at left rear plugs...

post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 01:31 AM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Hopefully the guy is rebuilding each of the carburetors for that $100 a piece and cleaning them jets up and getting everything ready to go.

Keep us posted.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMayfield View Post
Hopefully the guy is rebuilding each of the carburetors for that $100 a piece and cleaning them jets up and getting everything ready to go. Keep us posted.
The serviceman told me he would only
be flashing out carbs - checking floats -
and close-up bowls to see if carbs holds
liquid. Any other needs would added cost.

Picked up carbs today -- cost
$540.00... I will try to mount carbs in the next
few days, as nursing Nancy [wife] after her
knee replacement...

My riding buddy had his carbs removed, total
rebuilt and mounted plus balanced for $625.00..

Best to all

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Sure glad I was able to get the carbs out of my previous 1500 and fix the gas leak myself. Also found a vacuum line that was leaking while I was in there. Ran better than it ever had. If I had been charged an hourly rate for the time it took me there is no telling how much it would have cost! However, I got to know the bike well and could do it in less time if I had to do it again. Also there is a lot of satisfaction in getting it done yourself and knowing it was done properly.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page