H-D Mufflers on my 1500 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aloha Tom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
H-D Mufflers on my 1500

I noticed last year my Daytona mufflers were starting to rot through and with the price of new ones was not going there. Went to my buds shop and he brought out three different styles that were take-offs collecting dust. First two were long ones with questionable mounting brackets for my intended install. Last but not least were these and threaded for bolts, yeah. They are heavy and just one of them weighs as much as the two being replaced and should last a very long time.

Will get some 2 1/2" wide 1/8" plate and mount that under bag frame with small u-bolt towards rear and weld an L bracket to plate in original muffler hangar then drill the bolt holes to hang the muffler from. Will use flex pipe to connect forward. Mufflers, pipe and clamps should run me all about $60 thank you.

Will update this when I get around to it, taking care of my broken weld (not unheard of) on the left front trunk stanchion tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7589f.jpg (100.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7583f.jpg (54.5 KB, 63 views)

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
When you remove the front mounts small bolts in trunk, you will find the whole arm has broken off completely- right at the frame.
Unseen, but if you can lift the front lower corner of trunk at all- guess what, yours is same as everyone else that broke.
Plus the supporting 45 arm breaks at its weld on one or both ends

I read of inserting a rod in the support arm and welding that in. Need something better that whats stock.

My theory is some PO's put a heavy bag on top of the trunk for 100,000 miles, well above the allowed 20 lbs for trunk and above trunk.
Overweight and under supported, the end result fairly predictable.

On this forum you and I are the only reports (the other forum had pics that could have come off my phone, and same details!)

I made a thread about the break and all 1500 should perform the trunk front corner test lift, with no one reporting failure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
It aint rocket science

I pulled the left tailpipe off my bike to take some measurements on the size of flex tube I will be using. After getting that I decided to slip the H-D pipe on just to see how it sounded and noticed something very odd in that I could feel exhaust pulses two feet behind the end of the pipe. Took the pipe off and looking inside there was a 1 1/4" core or freeze plug looking device about midway down and it only had a 3/4" or thereabouts hole in it. So these mufflers used that obstruction to force some of the exhaust pulses into the surrounding baffles and will not be good for my install and knew it needed to go.

Made an extension for my 1 1/4" hole saw and used a 1/2" impact wrench to drive it and cut that piece out and a couple minutes later the pipe was straight through front to rear with just the surrounding baffling. Went to do the same with the other muffler and lo and behold it has a catalytic converter in there which has taken a while longer to deal with cutting through it also.

Now I know why the H-D guys remove the factory exhaust.

J.D.

Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 08:38 PM

Model: 84&86 Interstates. 1996 1500 SE, 1978 1000
I hope you have better luck with HD mufflers than I did. I tried them out, my bike got noisy and the performance went on it's ass.

After that fiasco, I sat down and rebuilt mine.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 PM
Banned

Without the correct amount of exhaust back pressure a straight pipe V twin runs and sounds terrible.
well, most things run bad with incorrect back-pressure.
Incoming Pulse, Reverb Pulse, Exhaust Pulse...Its freaky Science!

I know this because while I was inside the house- my older brother drilled holes in the back of H-D exhaust on my Shadow,
kept going until revving didnt feel right, saying I guess thats 1 too many! 7, you need 7 holes.

Some stock brand new take-offs might work better. Yes you can easily find new HD take-offs

Spend 30 minutes outside a Harley dealer and it will happen right before your eyes!
corkya likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
It aint rocket science

The Daytona pipes currently on are a straight thru design with zero or near zero back-pressure and only slightly louder than the box tip pipes of the last couple-three years of 1500 production. Around the circumference of the straight thru Daytona is what I would call a rip-rap of metal that looks like cut up washers, maybe they used to call that design a glass pack type.

Had I not noticed and then modified the H-D mufflers it certainly would not have worked very well with the engine due to a large increase in back pressure from the restriction(s), time will tell when installation is complete.

J.D.

Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Banned

those are called baffles. Glass packs are metal exhaust tubes with a fiberglass mat around the inside of the pipe,
and a wire screen over to hold it in place.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page