Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with OEM shock rebuild, question about progressives

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Aloha Tom 
#1 ·
Bike: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

I got my new seals in the mail today, so I started the rebuild process after work and this is what I found. I'm guessing its from the incorrect type of fluid previously used some time in the past. The black rubber wad you see on the work bench is what remains of the bump stop, it feels like a milky oily mushy mess. It pulled right off the shaft. The other shock was the same, all the internals cleaned up nicely except for the last bit of rubber goo that was inside the piston assembly.

Looking at schematics, I don't see the shock broken down far enough to order the bump stop.

Anyone know of an aftermarket source for getting these, or has anyone had a similar situation?

Part 2... I really don't want to spend the extra cash (bike has new engine, fresh fork rebuild, new radio and speakers, and new tires all within the past month... $$$$ hah) on new aftermarket progressive shocks, and I really like the ability of having an adjustable ride height with the OEM shocks. Anyone in here that has Progressive shocks and rides mostly solo? I weigh 178lbs soaking wet, ride mostly solo, and carry little to no luggage... are the 412's adjustable enough that I would have a smooth ride, and not get jarred from the seat?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I kind of answered my own question regarding the bump stop in here: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/394579-gl1100-rear-shock-rebuild.html (missed this thread the first time I searched)

I guess now that I have a source, unless someone knows of one that will be a more direct fit, I will go ahead with the OEM rebuild. I need to figure out how to fully take apart the piston rod assembly now :?

I'd still like to hear some insight on the progressive shocks though!

#9 · (Edited)
Progressive air shocks report:
From using 416 dual airs on a 1500, solo at your weight 8 to 15psi will yield a very sane and smooth ride.
Not much real action in them till 5psi

Do the OE have a support spring inside, or just air support only?

If you want super comfort, on top of seat put an Airhawk Cruiser R seat cushion, $110,
Your butt, floating on a 10mm layer of air--- opens YOU to the Wings real all day and the next cruising ability.
Cruiser R has an special pattern placement of the air cells, leaving an open center channel
so no pressure on the tailbone (ahhhhhhhhh) enlarged prostate (OOwOOwOOOw) or any low hanging family fruit.

Do the drop test, not drop the bike! Measure the amount the rear end drops when you go from standing straddling the bike -
to seated on it with your full weight.
A 1 to 1.5 inch drop is considered in the correct range of suspension pre-load

#10 ·
Thank you, great info about the progressives!

OE has 2 internal springs with air assist

I never thought about adding a seat pad, I don't have much cushioning myself lol, so I may look into that.

And I will definitely be checking the preload once it is back together. Is the front supposed to have the same amount as well?

#12 ·
Matt, the OE front forks are 2 stacked springs. What was inside the Honda rear air shock was my question?

With prog springs in front you wont need any air added unless max load and pulling a trailer-
that air is to offset braking forward weight transfer and stiffen preload.
There is no measure for front drop- it is what it is- barely! When you sit on the bike the main weight is near the rear shocks.

#15 ·
OE front springs are not worth putting back in
Drop the $100 on Prog springs and be rewarded with sportbike like response

My question on internals of OE rear was to learn about 1500 rear air, allegedly has no spring inside vs prog air which can be ridden home with no pressure if a line failed, and still have some suspension action

Dont want to state OE has blah-blah then Dennis gets to harass me because an 84 is different than....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.