Gl1500 fuel mileage - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
big PIA

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
I agree with you, just stating that it can be correct the other way depending how you look at it, just giving you a hard time
AZgl1800 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
big PIA

I downloaded that app , just can't use it just yet as no speedometer to get mileage , at least till tomorrow, that when new cable should arrive
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:07 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Do you have a GPS ??

I use the GPS Trip Recording to track my "per trip" fill-ups, on the Garmins they have both 'A' and 'B' trip meters.

Zero it now, and use the old Odometer reading, or as close an approximation as you can come to, and just log things from there....

Fuelio will let you go back and Edit all of the previous records, but you have to do them in reverse order, because it will NOT allow you to enter an Odometer reading that is larger than the ones after it. that means that I had to enter the correct Odometer for the last fill-up, and then working backwards, entered the corrected Odometer reading for each report. when you get to the 1st report, wallah! a change reaction happens and all of the reports are accurate.

when I first started, i just used the GPS and started out at 0000 and went from there, then when I got home, I took the receipts and locations from the GPS and figured out what the Odometer ought to be....

involved a lot of hassle, but once I got it caught up, it is very easy to maintain.

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What is the Forum Index?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download it here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
big PIA

I don't leave the gps on the bike if I am not on a trip, the new cable will be here tomorrow and can't fill bike till after work Friday anyhow, that's where I will start. Bedtime for tonight, 3:30comes mighty early around here, lil less than3 1/2 hours to be up for work again. 10 hour + days beginning to suck, 6 and 7 days a week at times.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:20 PM

Garage
Argh!!!

I can remember those days, we used to work 4 tens... I relished the free weekends, but it was hell when you caught the Standby Tech slot for the extra weekend days.... sometimes, just one tech had trouble finding a bed on the weekends.
OnaWingAndaPrayer likes this.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:22 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing
Model: 1500SE
I have been getting over 40 all summer long and yes I check miles and gallons. I do not ride hard, no passenger standard windshield. The one thing I do is add a few ounces of two cycle oil to every tank. (This has been talked about before on this site) Doing this on my bike adds around three miles to the gallon. If I skip the oil for over 2 tanks I will not make 40 no matter how I ride. All of my gas is E10.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:44 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticFour View Post
I think I need to change filters or something, my mileage stays mid 30's never any higher, I take it easy when riding. Not aggressive. Dirty filters can cause poor mileage I think. Bike runs as good as the day I bought it. Still haven't figured out how to take off covers yet.
After 5 years of riding my 1500, and calculating mileage at virtually every fillup, I have found my mileage varies between 30 and 45 mpg. That's the absolute bottom and top, with averages falling in about 37-42 mpg. What I have learned is that what kind of riding you are doing makes a drastic difference in mpg. My bike guzzles gas upon a cold start. If I burn a tank where all of my driving is multiple cold starts, over many days, that's my 30 mpg. If I fill the tank warm, and leave the gas station right onto the highway, driving all day in the mountains, with an average of 40 mph, that is my 45 mpg. Most of my driving falls in between. Fill the tank, do some riding on the highway at 60 mph, do some back roads at 30-40 mph, stop once or twice, not requiring any cold starts, and refill the tank, I'll hit right at 40 mpg every time. The cold, enriched starts, with the associated idling, is the death knell to my mpg. Of course winding it out to 3000-3500 rpms all the time will take a toll, and extended 70+ mph highway trips will also eat into to mpg. These bikes are like driving a sailboat down the highway, with regard to wind resistance, and the faster you push it, the more gas it will eat. But like I said....nothing is worse than repeated cold starts.
Bellboy40 likes this.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:45 PM

Garage
Okay,

that is something that I never did do...

just as a curiosity, and a happenstance, my 1800 is full of Pure Gas today, and I just this morning poured in 2 oz of TWC oil....

so, as usual, i will be keeping track of how it does over the next few tanks.

Will put in an oz of oil per tank next time and see how that does, I think that the 2 oz is probably way too rich.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterhooker0 View Post
After 5 years of riding my 1500, and calculating mileage at virtually every fillup, I have found my mileage varies between 30 and 45 mpg. That's the absolute bottom and top, with averages falling in about 37-42 mpg. What I have learned is that what kind of riding you are doing makes a drastic difference in mpg. My bike guzzles gas upon a cold start. If I burn a tank where all of my driving is multiple cold starts, over many days, that's my 30 mpg. If I fill the tank warm, and leave the gas station right onto the highway, driving all day in the mountains, with an average of 40 mph, that is my 45 mpg. Most of my driving falls in between. Fill the tank, do some riding on the highway at 60 mph, do some back roads at 30-40 mph, stop once or twice, not requiring any cold starts, and refill the tank, I'll hit right at 40 mpg every time. The cold, enriched starts, with the associated idling, is the death knell to my mpg. Of course winding it out to 3000-3500 rpms all the time will take a toll, and extended 70+ mph highway trips will also eat into to mpg. These bikes are like driving a sailboat down the highway, with regard to wind resistance, and the faster you push it, the more gas it will eat. But like I said....nothing is worse than repeated cold starts.
now this is the Most Believable report on 1500s that I have ever read.

and I can believe it because both of my 1500s had a Tulsa Tall windshield, and the very rare times that they were run below 50 mph, that one tank got a MPG reading upwards of the 40 number mentioned here.... I wish that I had documented the occasion.

This next trip come Friday, is going to be a lackadaisical one, just for enjoyment riding to Eureka Springs on the back roads, so the speed limits will be 65 and lower, and some small town drive throughs... right now, my 1800 has an Optic Armor +4 windscreen.

I will report that as I go along on this thread.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:16 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Mystic/others may want to use a free speedometer app on your phone to compare indicated speed and miles vs the gps truth.

Then know your real mpg.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in