Gl1500 fuel mileage - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 07:08 AM

Year: 1989
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
My 89 must be blessed as I am not a slow or easy rider and I check mileage about every other tank and get a consistent 39-41 mpg. Average speed driving to work is either 65 or 70 depending on whether it is 2 lane or 4 lane highway. On the 2 lane I pass quite a few vehicles by down shifting to 4th, getting around them and back on my side of the road then back to road gear. I do run an ounce of Seafoam once a month thru the gas to keep things clean. Air filter gets cleaned or changed annually. Oil gets changed every 4k miles and I run with Mobile1 10w40. Tire pressure is checked every week and I run 2-3 lbs over spec.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 07:41 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Okay,

that is something that I never did do...

just as a curiosity, and a happenstance, my 1800 is full of Pure Gas today, and I just this morning poured in 2 oz of TWC oil....

so, as usual, i will be keeping track of how it does over the next few tanks.

Will put in an oz of oil per tank next time and see how that does, I think that the 2 oz is probably way too rich.
I have seen the report of 1500s running TCW3 oil too and it is believable in a carbureted engine but I have tried it in 2 1800s and do it occasionally when I think about it and it does seem to make it run smoother but it has never made any difference in fuel economy, neither has running pure gas.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Mystic/others may want to use a free speedometer app on your phone to compare indicated speed and miles vs the gps truth.

Then know your real mpg.
???

The GPS logs the exact distance traveled Tom, what other truth can there be?
Not talking about straight line miles point A to B...

dunno about your GPS, but everyone I have owned, all have a "Trip Instant" report, and on Garmins it is usually the lower left button that is indicating "current speed".

Press that, and it brings up a big display with nearly everything you could ask about "right now" and of that, mine have always had Trip-A and Trip-B

I use 'A' for trip legs, and 'B' for ongoing total miles traveled since xyz time.

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What is the Forum Index?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download it here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I have seen the report of 1500s running TCW3 oil too and it is believable in a carbureted engine but I have tried it in 2 1800s and do it occasionally when I think about it and it does seem to make it run smoother but it has never made any difference in fuel economy, neither has running pure gas.
Dave,
I don't know if it will or not, but on one trip a while back, I tried to find Pure Gas and the first thing you notice real fast, is the exhoribant price hike they charge for it.

The 2nd thing I noticed, was the mpg increase logged by Fuelio was not near enough to offset the cost difference.

When I filled it up with Pure Gas this last time, a few days ago, I was just thinking about the trip to ES coming up and wanted the tank to be full before I left, and was wanting to see if a slower ride like I have planned this time, will make any noticeable difference in MPG on my bike.

If it don't pan out good enough, I will forget about trying to find Pure Gas... and the cost of TWC3 added to the premium costs of pure gas really makes it not worthwhile.

when I did that, I was not planning on pulling my trailer, then two days ago, I decided that I can't afford not to... being away from home, I need all of my support gear in case I get too hot, and need something.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade View Post
My 89 must be blessed as I am not a slow or easy rider and I check mileage about every other tank and get a consistent 39-41 mpg. Average speed driving to work is either 65 or 70 depending on whether it is 2 lane or 4 lane highway. On the 2 lane I pass quite a few vehicles by down shifting to 4th, getting around them and back on my side of the road then back to road gear. I do run an ounce of Seafoam once a month thru the gas to keep things clean. Air filter gets cleaned or changed annually. Oil gets changed every 4k miles and I run with Mobile1 10w40. Tire pressure is checked every week and I run 2-3 lbs over spec.

If you are calculating this with the miles from your odometer , then be aware that SOME odometers count 3 to 7 % more than your actual travelling distance .If thats the case , then your calculating also is wrong .
I am not saying that YOUR odometer is incorrect , yust trying to make a point .
BTW: If you are changing oil that often then it is waste of money , an oil in that Quality last at least 10000 Miles !
DaveO430 likes this.

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM

the calculations are done from the odometer from my Garmin. I know my speedo is off 2-3 mph based on the Garmin and phone speeds.

The main reason I change the oil often is because she is 28 years old with a lot of miles and I want her to run for another 100k or more.

post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:58 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade View Post

The main reason I change the oil often is because she is 28 years old with a lot of miles and I want her to run for another 100k or more.
In that case you may as well use conventional oil, but it's your money.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
In that case you may as well use conventional oil, but it's your money.
I've tried conventional and synthetic oil and the synthetic shifts smoother so I burn a little extra money knowing that.

post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Using pure gas should increase fuel mileage. Like John says, it is probably not worth it money wise though. Your call.
Ethanol has 75,000 BTU's while gas has 115,000 BTU's. Remember there is only 10% Ethanol though. The most significant difference is this. Ethanol is very high octane. It is 113 octane. The more Ethanol used the cheaper the gas required to get the 87 octane. In a nutshell if you add Ethanol it is possible to use very low octane gas and when mixed with the Ethanol still get 87 octane. Locally Kwik Trip is offering 12% (usually 10%) ethanol for a few cents less for that reason.

EDIT: Interesting article I just ran across: http://zfacts.com/p/436.html
AZgl1800 likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 10:46 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
John, I was not saying compare phone to gps, rather compare phone app to bikes odometer/speedo indicated
Not everyone has a gps on the bike!

So yes, ACTUAL not indicated total miles- is the desired intent of speedo app test.
Only then can you truly calculate the mpg

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page