DHS Shifter Lever Upgrade - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Make: honda
Model: gl1800
DHS Shifter Lever Upgrade

How many of you did the DHS UPGRADE and like it so far And did you do shorten throw modification where you drill a hole in the OEM shifter or did you skip that
And did it really get more of a better shift to the gl1800
www.dhsracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
DaveO430 has it, I own the parts, but never got it installed.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:16 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Yes I did. The first set I got were so stiff the shifter wouldn't return, he sent me new ones and they worked for a while then got stiff. I finally got heim joints from another source and made my own. The ones he uses have a plastic (of some sort) insert that apparently can't take the heat, I got all metal ones. I do like the short throw though it does take slightly more effort to shift.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
DaveO430 has it, I own the parts, but never got it installed.
I think I WILL stick with the OEM its working for me I thought thier would be more respond to this
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Now that I think back on it, was at Dave's home for a couple days and we were talking about the DHS item, and I just chose to not install it at that time.

I am now two years past that point, and the OEM shifter cycle is working fine for me, I am not going to install it.

So, guess I should put it up for sale.

~ John

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Yes I did. The first set I got were so stiff the shifter wouldn't return, he sent me new ones and they worked for a while then got stiff. I finally got heim joints from another source and made my own. The ones he uses have a plastic (of some sort) insert that apparently can't take the heat, I got all metal ones. I do like the short throw though it does take slightly more effort to shift.

Where did you get the new heim joints from I really dont mind the throw but I won,t mind trying some new heim joints to stiffen the joints up
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 & https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . With these you have to use bolts and spacers to make it work out. If you have somewhere local you could probably get them with the studs, just get all metal & use self locking nuts except the jam nut where they screw together.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 & https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . With these you have to use bolts and spacers to make it work out. If you have somewhere local you could probably get them with the studs, just get all metal & use self locking nuts except the jam nut where they screw together.
Thanks for the info I going to try this You probably couldn,t give me a little more info on the bolts and spacer thing It will probably be more obvious I guess when I GET there and take it apart
I did order the parts off amazon
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Wish I had pictures. The joints DHS sells have the stud that go into the shifter arms, you can see that in his pictures, the joints from Amazon do not. What I did was buy grade 5 fine thread 1/4" bolts, don't remember the length and used some spacers I already had about 10mm or 3/8" thick to go between the joint and the shift arm & shift lever to make the linkage be straight. You could probably use 3 or 4 washers to accomplish the same thing.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wish I had pictures. The joints DHS sells have the stud that go into the shifter arms, you can see that in his pictures, the joints from Amazon do not. What I did was buy grade 5 fine thread 1/4" bolts, don't remember the length and used some spacers I already had about 10mm or 3/8" thick to go between the joint and the shift arm & shift lever to make the linkage be straight. You could probably use 3 or 4 washers to accomplish the same thing.
The 1/4 bolts work in the shifter arms right Do they fit in them jionts from amazon
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page