2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Make: honda
Model: gl1800
Delo 400LE vs. 400SDE

Any one know the difference between the 400LE vs 400SDE They have both at wally world and I thought about trying one them in my gl1800 But than I called the rep at Delo and told him that I was going to put one them in the gl1800 and he said it was not recommended for wet clutch,s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:17 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
the LE is okay for the wet clutch, 100s of us using it for years.

the SDE is one I know nothing of, would have to research the label.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

I think the engineer is right, it is for the 2017 and newer engines which have tighter tolerances, and has friction modifiers in it.

Stay with the 'LE' or go with Rotella T-5 10w30 which meets all of the requirements for our engines.

I am running T-6 which is 5w40 but for a different reason than you need. My bike is an '02 and the '01 thru '05 have a "potential" to break the ADG ( alternator drive gear ) if you crank it up too fast at startup with cold oil. I minimize that with 5w and staying miles away from the throttle until the ECM brings the RPMs back down.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
the LE is okay for the wet clutch, 100s of us using it for years.

the SDE is one I know nothing of, would have to research the label.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

I think the engineer is right, it is for the 2017 and newer engines which have tighter tolerances, and has friction modifiers in it.

Stay with the 'LE' or go with Rotella T-5 10w30 which meets all of the requirements for our engines.

I am running T-6 which is 5w40 but for a different reason than you need. My bike is an '02 and the '01 thru '05 have a "potential" to break the ADG ( alternator drive gear ) if you crank it up too fast at startup with cold oil. I minimize that with 5w and staying miles away from the throttle until the ECM brings the RPMs back down.
I have 02 also so I might just go with the T-6 ALSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 PM

Garage
I originally had zeroed in on a Mobil 1 oil product, but called the Mobil 1 engineering department and he told me that none of their synthetic oils are suitable for a wet clutch.

So, I wrote off Mobil 1.... but the search for a 5w oil continued, and that led to the Rotella T-6

~ John

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I originally had zeroed in on a Mobil 1 oil product, but called the Mobil 1 engineering department and he told me that none of their synthetic oils are suitable for a wet clutch.

So, I wrote off Mobil 1.... but the search for a 5w oil continued, and that led to the Rotella T-6
You pointed out something else I did not know on the ADG not touch the throttle until its warmed up or fear of braking the ADG Which after doing the research is a major deal
But on the Mobile 1 4t 10w 40w that would be good for are bikes right and the wet clutch
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 PM

Garage
I do NOT know anything at all about Mobile 1 4T 10w40

As long as it does NOT have friction modifiers, it should be okay, BUT with the ADG factor thrown in, IMO, the 5w is a wiser choice.

when I talked with the Mobil 1 engineer, I was specifically asking about their 5w oils available "at that time"

~ John

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I do NOT know anything at all about Mobile 1 4T 10w40

As long as it does NOT have friction modifiers, it should be okay, BUT with the ADG factor thrown in, IMO, the 5w is a wiser choice.

when I talked with the Mobil 1 engineer, I was specifically asking about their 5w oils available "at that time"
Thanks John I will get the T-6
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:39 PM

Garage
Let's get together next summer at NASR11

http://www.northamericangoldwings.co...er-rally-nasr/

The summer rallys used to be called NASSIR and were hosted by this forum, but after the forum was sold, a group of us formed a summer rally committee and renamed it slightly, and changed the host to an independently owned forum not controlled by a corporation.

Same nice folks, just a different website to host the rally threads on...
come next spring, that link will be back in my signature again.

the 'NASR' term means
North
American
Summer
Rally

NASSIR was designed to honor our original forum founder, Steve Saunders who ran and supported this forum out of his own pocket for many years.

North American Steve Saunders International Rally

~ John

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Let's get together next summer at NASR11

The summer rallys used to be called NASSIR and were hosted by this forum, but after the forum was sold, a group of us formed a summer rally committee and renamed it slightly, and changed the host to an independently owned forum not controlled by a corporation.

Same nice folks, just a different website to host the rally threads on...
come next spring, that link will be back in my signature again.

the 'NASR' term means
North
American
Summer
Rally

NASSIR was designed to honor our original forum founder, Steve Saunders who ran and supported this forum out of his own pocket for many years.

North American Steve Saunders International Rally
That looks like it would be great time not to far away from me I will be talking it over with my wife We for sure would stay in one the rooms I am pretty sure we most likly will go Can,t wait to meet you all
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:16 PM

Garage
I have a room reserved already in the hotel there, I am driving my Suburban up and pulling my bike behind me on it...

With projected summer temps in the high 90s, my body no longer will allow me long travel days in temps above 80-85 degrees...

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page