LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 AM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myjack View Post
Ive heard of using wood clamps to break the bead and the "Wrestle em off"

Sounds like more fun than it is,

There is a guy on you tube changing a rear wheel on a 1500 in about 10 minutes by laying the bike over on a rug - extend the side stand to roll it higher and remove the wheel, install the replacement and stand it up again. No scratches - soooo easy. I bought spare wheels already.
I wouldn't try it on the 1100 till I see somebody else do it, but it was fun watching the 1500
You might check that video again. I have done this method on my 1800rear wheel, which has lugnuts/bolts like an automobile. Dont think it will work on the 1500.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:

There is a guy on you tube changing a rear wheel on a 1500 in about 10 minutes by laying the bike over on a rug - extend the side stand to roll it higher and remove the wheel, install the replacement and stand it up again. No scratches - soooo easy. I bought spare wheels already.
I wouldn't try it on the 1100 till I see somebody else do it, but it was fun watching the 1500
You be sure and video that for us.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 06:18 AM

Year: 1989
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaWingAndaPrayer View Post
You might check that video again. I have done this method on my 1800rear wheel, which has lugnuts/bolts like an automobile. Dont think it will work on the 1500.
I've done this on my 1500 for the wheel removal (front and back) and it was pretty easy. I only loosened the left bag to the point I could get my hands in to get the brakes up and out of the way. Took me maybe an hour to get the rear wheel off.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Year: 1998
Model: gl1500
What? You can't search YouTube?

I didn't watch the entire video, but when he mentioned using the center stand while its on its side, that's the secret sauce that makes it work.
It's a different video - the grass and shade is a nice touch.

My brother has a car lift, couple straps and mine is airborne. But this is a compelling method.

I can't tell for sure - this video may be an 1800 - the first one I found was a 1500 on concrete with mats laid out. He broke the mount bolts loose while the bike was upright. I imagine putting it in gear should make it easier also.

Some find 800+ lb motorcycles intimidating - and they can be, but there are some interesting work around.

The original poster is in rural Az with few services - he may appreciate the info.

I'd be interested to see who else has done that method. The entire video is 9 minutes and the bike has a new wheel mounted. I'm impressed.
I found a set of clean wheels for $170 delivered. Cheap insurance.

Keep the shiney side up!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
once that Center Stand is pulled out, I put a jack under it and lift the stand another 4 inches and slip in a 4x4

gave me all the comfort zone I needed.

the crash guards do a great job, checked and nothing even came close to being touched.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 11:27 PM

Year: 1998
Model: gl1500
Awww geez,, Now I realize that is a 1800.

It REALLY makes me want a 1800. With bald tires.

I just read about rear wheel change on the 1500.

Pull the exhaust,,, and the bags and, and, and......

ohhh, did I mention PACK A LUNCH??????

You see, I have my recent acquisition, a low mileage 1998 wing here, with a big stack of parts and goodies. Shop manual, lower restriction mufflers, air filter, plugs, timing belts, speakers, spare wheels, new elite 4 tires. So I expect I'll be better experienced to post knowledgeably in the future and grinning ear to ear this spring. - the old tires will last at least that long.

I think I may try to video each procedure, but frankly don't yet see a solid improvement I could offer.

Keep the shiney side up!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page