LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: SE
Garage
hard to downshift occasionally

A lately thing the bike has been doing is being difficult to downshift all the way to 1st or even 2nd. This summer I installed the shift pivot device for the 1500. It didn't do this until last week. Eventually, it does start to shift normal. Since the pivot is a change I figure I'll start there. It's posssible I didn't get it adjusted just perfectly. For those that have the pivot, what are some adjustments or tricks that I need to look for? Other than that, oil is the only other possible thing I can think of. That has only about 1600 miles on it and it's conventional and does not have friction modifiers.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
101421 miles as of 091418
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 01:58 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
It sounds like you're looking in the right place, with the shift brace. On mine, I initially had an issue with not enough clearance around the brace, where you have to trim the metal. I re-trimmed it and all was good. As you suspect, the adjustment of the brace itself is pretty critical, as well.
redwing52 likes this.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:02 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Garage
On mine,there was a place on the crash bar that would not allow the piece that bolts ther to set flat,I used a washer,small od,id same as bolt to secure it,mine is great,you might not have it aligned just righte,seems like I tightened the shift first and tried shifting to center hold down,just look at yours to assure itís free from rubbing something.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Large Member

Year: 2000
Garage
The part in the instructions where it says ' rotate pivot as far forward possible' part... what part exactly is the 'pivot'? It shifts solid but there is this 'catch' on all gears just before it engages fully (full upward movement). Downshifting when it happens is it just won't go into the next lower gear-the pedal just feels like in 1st but isn't. Let it come up no engage but will go up into the next gear. Later be ok like nothing happened. Tweak adjustment time, now that I feel it.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

101421 miles as of 091418

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Garage
That’s the piece that bolts to guard,I had to cut Most of the metal out for mine to clear ,is your bolt to clamp to the shifter,on the back or the front.
The bolt on the shaft may be moving,loose

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
I made my shift brace after some consideration and as I recall it almost self aligned as I installed it and left bolt loose as I cycled the shifter.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/473554-gl1500-shifter-brace-5.html

I agree that this Wilmo's problem sounds / reads more like a clutch line needing a bleed. ... that part about it eventually starting to shift normal .... if it was a bad adjustment of the brace, it would likely be there always until corrected????
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmo View Post
A lately thing the bike has been doing is being difficult to downshift all the way to 1st or even 2nd. This summer I installed the shift pivot device for the 1500. It didn't do this until last week. Eventually, it does start to shift normal. Since the pivot is a change I figure I'll start there. It's posssible I didn't get it adjusted just perfectly. For those that have the pivot, what are some adjustments or tricks that I need to look for? Other than that, oil is the only other possible thing I can think of. That has only about 1600 miles on it and it's conventional and does not have friction modifiers.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page