GL1200 solenoid connections - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Limited Edition
Model: GL1200L
That marine solenoid does have an "I" printed on it, which to my understanding is just used to send a full 12 volts to the coil during starter cranking. I do not want to connect a ground to that circuit. I've extensively googled that "I" terminal and have never read that it is connected to a safety ground. It is always identified as going to the ignition coil, and carrying a full 12v. Hence the "I" label. Maybe other solenoids have different connections, but then they must also be labeled different.

I do have in line spade fuses on both wires, red to ignition and red/white to regulator. The dogbone elimination, and spade fuse addition, referred to as "Tricky's mod", I done a long time ago.

The solenoid I have installed is grounded through the base, which I isolated and connected the safety ground wire to. No big deal to isolate. I'm not using the "I" terminal. No confusion.

Thanks for helping, but I think I need to be careful before I connect the wires incorrectly. And make darn sure too.

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks. Daniel Boone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 12:38 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh352 View Post
I have a Ford Napa STH404 starter solenoid to replace the cheap ones that keep causing me problems. My question is the connections.

You say the cheap ones that keep causing problems, yet it seems the NAPA product is giving you problems even plugging it in. How is that any different?

Why don't you buy the correct part and be done with this?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Limited Edition
Model: GL1200L
Napa one is installed, no problem, just checking with everybody on the wiring. A little research revealed connections. The oem one http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product298.html is $74. I hate to be taken advantage of. Evidently it wasn't very good or else it would have still been there. When I bought it, there was the cheap one already installed. Probably the original culprit was bad connections. Maybe the oem one is ok, I dunno. Anyway, it's done.
Thanks everybody

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks. Daniel Boone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Napa one is installed, no problem, just checking with everybody on the wiring. A little research revealed connections. The oem one http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product298.html is $74. I hate to be taken advantage of. Evidently it wasn't very good or else it would have still been there. When I bought it, there was the cheap one already installed. Probably the original culprit was bad connections. Maybe the oem one is ok, I dunno. Anyway, it's done.
Thanks everybody
Jim,
First of all NEVER buy from Sabre. She is a crook and lots of people here have had trouble including myself. If you look at the ad tied to the link, then read the reviews. That is not an OEM solenoid. The wires were reversed. Probably a $10 solenoid they sell for $74. It is not unusual for Sabre. BEWARE..or learn the hard way like me.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
SABRE, think SNAKE

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:40 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
# 11. $63.87 + shipping, or you could go to your local dealer and order it.

http://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...85&fveh=132502

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 02:07 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
The green/red is the same wire for both the clutch switch and the neutral switch, if not connected to one of the small terminals on the isolated base solenoid (or in the case of the ford solenoid if isolated) neither will work.
Thanks, just looked at schematic again. Attached picture.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1985 GW Starter System 002.jpg (68.7 KB, 6 views)

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 02:26 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
That marine solenoid does have an "I" printed on it, which to my understanding is just used to send a full 12 volts to the coil during starter cranking. I do not want to connect a ground to that circuit. I've extensively googled that "I" terminal and have never read that it is connected to a safety ground. It is always identified as going to the ignition coil, and carrying a full 12v. Hence the "I" label. Maybe other solenoids have different connections, but then they must also be labeled different.
I did some research and found the marine relay has an isolated base, therefore uses both terminals in the starting circuit, that's why I suggested it. Outboards have a neutral safety and my assumption is it grounds the relay just like on motorcycles.
redwing52 likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:53 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
I have had good luck with the Cole Hersee solenoids. Any of the tp five are the same except for the mount. They can handle 200 amps intermittent with 500 amp inrush. Plenty enough. They also have a 16 ohm coil so that is less than 1 amp on the switches which I like. Take notice if you buy a marine solenoid as some/most are rated at less than 100 amps.Below is a schematic that shows the insulated (isolated) base. I know the old Dodge, Plymouth and Chryslers used the insulated base. I think about 1960 or so should work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z.jpg (41.9 KB, 4 views)

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
As Dave said there are marine starter relays with isolated mounts.
There are also lots of lawn and garden tractor starter relays with isolated mounts.

Why the Ford relay with grounded mount became the go to replacement is strange.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page