4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
As Dave said there are marine starter relays with isolated mounts.
There are also lots of lawn and garden tractor starter relays with isolated mounts.

Why the Ford relay with grounded mount became the go to replacement is strange.
I suppose because you can buy one anywhere.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Limited Edition
Model: GL1200L
When I originally done the Tricky's Modification (eliminating the dogbone and adding a spade fuse, taking the red and red/white wires out of the 4p connector), soldered the stator wires, replaced the starter and solenoid (starter stuck engaged). This was shortly after I got the bike. I now keep it on a battery tender too.

Anyway, I replaced the solenoid with what looked like exactly identical to the old one. And since I had removed the red and red/white wires from the connector and soldered an inline spade fuse then direct to battery, that left the 4p connector with only the starter switch wire and the green/red wire (clutch safety ground).

Well, I plugged it in wrong, and sent current to the little diode under the seat frying it. To accommodate the non-oem solenoid, someone had cut off the connector sides that only allow it to go on one way.

I fixed that with a new diode.

So you see why I'm reluctant to just try connections there without being double doggone sure, lol.

So today my replacement starter came in, I put it on, and it works/sounds great. It goes: ffft boom and starts instantly. Well, not really boom, but you know what it sounds like when it first starts up. I have the EFI so no choke problems, or cold start, or nothing. Just hit the starter and pow!, it doesn't hesitate or drag.

So I took a long awaited anxious ride, after adjusting my Voyager trike preload. (Right after I had moved it to do the preload adjustment, the starter stuck, so I havent ridden it after the adjustment. Not till just now, went for an hour ride. 75 degrees here in Florida.

Thanks guys, didn't mean to stir up a mess, just trying to make double doggone sure about wiring it up. And maybe help soneone later who needs the same help.

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks. Daniel Boone
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:14 AM

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200 A
Model: GL1200 A
Any recommendations on a cheap, reliable solenoid? These $7 ebay aftermarket ones keep burning out.

From what I'm reading a marine one is the best? What happens if I get the NAPA one - the clutch has to be engaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:34 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Have you considered an OEM? They actually work, offer the correct polarity and last over 30 years.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:41 AM

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200 A
Model: GL1200 A
I considered it but the first one I had was OEM. Then went through a few cheap ones. I'm looking for something else now, I'm about to order a new starter also so I want everything bulletproof. Might even redo the wires.

Any recommendations or should I just go with the NAPA one?
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:31 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I give up.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page