It overheated. should I be alright? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: honda
Model: GL1200 I
It overheated. should I be alright?

i notice my wing was over heating. I pulled over and and a whole bunch of terrible smelling smoke was coming out the right exhaust. I waited and hour or so to keep riding home. when I opened the throttle at first and it was very choppy as if i was in 3rd gear trying to take off. but it smoothed out as i kept riding. I just need more oil in there is all. I was just wondering if i potentially did any real damage to my poor wing. any thoughts?

Last edited by crimsonwing; 12-22-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 06:41 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
it probably will be just fine.

I used to have a '94SE and rode it out to San Diego from Mesa, AZ.

going was not so bad, it was coming home that was terrible....

50+ mph winds, blowing sand, a Tulsa Tall +4 windshield, and me wanting to get home and pushing 85 mph all the way.

About 20 miles west of Yuma, AZ, the oil light came on, and when I slowed down, I could hear the valves all clicking and clacking...... I slowed down to about 30 mph and rode it the rest of the way to town, stopped in at a Denny's and had some chow.

2 hours later, I checked the oil level and it was okay, between the top and bottom marks.

the oil had just gotten too hot and had lost its' viscosity... at that time, the engine had Castrol Oil in it, which one? don't remember.....

once the engine cooled down, I rode the rest of the way to Mesa at about 60 mph and the light never came back on.

Back home, I drained the oil before the engine cooled down.... let it drip all night.
Poured in Delo 400 15w40 and never looked back......
never had another minutes worth of trouble from that bike.
redwing52 likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 06:43 PM

Garage
In your case, I would look for signs of water in the oil, if none, good.

look for signs of water loss, make sure the overflow tank has water in it, if none, then there is a leak in the overflow tubing, or the tank is cracked ( not likely )

it very doubtful that you have a headgasket leaking...

if the smoke goes away after letting it set all night, and on the next start up, I would just watch it.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks AZ! i doubt its the head gaskets too as i just changed both of them this year. ill just keep an eye out!
post #5 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonwing View Post
i notice my wing was over heating. I pulled over and and a whole bunch of terrible smelling smoke was coming out the right exhaust. I waited and hour or so to keep riding home. when I opened the throttle at first and it was very choppy as if i was in 3rd gear trying to take off. but it smoothed out as i kept riding. I just need more oil in there is all. I was just wondering if i potentially did any real damage to my poor wing. any thoughts?
You never said why it overheated. I think you might believe it was because you were low on oill. That is almost certainly not going to overheat the engine. If it ever got that bad there would be no bringing the thing back to life. A wing that runs without oil so long it overheats is almost certainly terminal. Lack of oil will cause much more serious issues long before it overheats.
In spite of the new head gaskets I would still look for all the common issues first. Is the bike up to snuff on the coolant level? Does the fan turn on when it should? What is the condition of the coolant and the radiator? Is the radiator free of debris externally? Do you notice a stream of air bubbles in the coolant if you run the engine with the radiator cap off, or black combustion residue around the neck of the radiator? Blowing or losing water out of the radiator?
Bellboy40 likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #6 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
it probably will be just fine.

I used to have a '94SE and rode it out to San Diego from Mesa, AZ.

going was not so bad, it was coming home that was terrible....

50+ mph winds, blowing sand, a Tulsa Tall +4 windshield, and me wanting to get home and pushing 85 mph all the way.

About 20 miles west of Yuma, AZ, the oil light came on, and when I slowed down, I could hear the valves all clicking and clacking...... I slowed down to about 30 mph and rode it the rest of the way to town, stopped in at a Denny's and had some chow.

2 hours later, I checked the oil level and it was okay, between the top and bottom marks.

the oil had just gotten too hot and had lost its' viscosity... at that time, the engine had Castrol Oil in it, which one? don't remember.....

once the engine cooled down, I rode the rest of the way to Mesa at about 60 mph and the light never came back on.

Back home, I drained the oil before the engine cooled down.... let it drip all night.
Poured in Delo 400 15w40 and never looked back......
never had another minutes worth of trouble from that bike.
John,
Those symptoms sound more like a collapsed oil filter.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #7 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Garage
might have been Mike,

didn't take a chance on it, new oil and new filter fixed it.
redwing52 likes this.

~ John

post #8 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
You never said why it overheated. I think you might believe it was because you were low on oill. That is almost certainly not going to overheat the engine. If it ever got that bad there would be no bringing the thing back to life. A wing that runs without oil so long it overheats is almost certainly terminal. Lack of oil will cause much more serious issues long before it overheats.
In spite of the new head gaskets I would still look for all the common issues first. Is the bike up to snuff on the coolant level? Does the fan turn on when it should? What is the condition of the coolant and the radiator? Is the radiator free of debris externally? Do you notice a stream of air bubbles in the coolant if you run the engine with the radiator cap off, or black combustion residue around the neck of the radiator? Blowing or losing water out of the radiator?

hey redwing, I added more oil today and i checked the coolant and it was VERY low!! I had to add a lot more and burp it all up. I then started the wing with the choke fully open,and it had a very rough start. for a good 15 seconds it was extremely choppy and sounded like it was about to die, then it slowly sped up and smoothed out back to normal. I rode around for a good while and all was good, still smooth and no over heating. Question is, why the low coolant level. I will need to keep tabs. I REALLY hope my heads arent bad. Also, when I looked at the cap, there was the "mayonase" on it, which meas its mixing with oil if i remember right, this makes me so scared about the heads. please chime in yall!
post #9 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 05:31 PM

Garage
mayonnaise on the oil cap means "water" in the oil, or condensation which will create water if enough is there.

I would just watch it and see if all is normal "now"....

our engines are much happier if we use them frequently.

~ John

post #10 of 206 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Low coolant and mud on the radiator cap does suggest a head gasket.
You did use Mother Honda head gaskets right?
redwing52 likes this.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page