Dragging Brake Update - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 01:24 PM

Year: 2004
Make: Honda
Model: , 1982 GL1100 Standard, 2004 GL 1800
You can get a rebuild kit for that master cylinder. If you are going to replace it, meaning you will have to remove it, might as well rebuild. There is no new replacement for that. Good luck on the removal it's a b---h. You didn't replace the rotors by any chance did you? Standards and Interstates use a 5MM width and the others have 10 MM rotors. I am currently rebuilding a 84 Standard myself, my second one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:23 PM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
Others have been there before you.

http://www.glonetwo.tmdhosting610.co...d.php?tid=7755

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWN View Post

Interesting forum, but I was the only one visiting there today.

Thought I would check in while I was there, activity seems to be a bit low.

Welcome, AZgl1500 Last visit: 08-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Since then, there have been:
0 new announcements
74 new threads
357 new posts

This is the kind of thing that I have noted with forums that get Model Specific, they turn into Dinosaurs.

and that is exactly the reason we refuse to create sub-forums for specific Model types here.
MalcolmX likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AZgl1800; 12-28-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 05:18 PM

Year: 1985
Make: Limited Edition
Model: GL1200L
From that link, very good to know. Thanks AZ

Feetup Offline
Be sure that the push rod is adjusted so that the rear brake master cyl. is released entirely when the pedal is released. The first thing that happens in there is that the return port is covered in the first small amount of piston movement. If it remains covered because of misadjustment it will have the same effect as a plugged return port. Both problems will cause the rear and one of the front calipers to remain applied
AZgl1800 likes this.

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks. Daniel Boone
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1984 GL 1200 Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh352 View Post
From that link, very good to know. Thanks AZ

Feetup Offline
Be sure that the push rod is adjusted so that the rear brake master cyl. is released entirely when the pedal is released. The first thing that happens in there is that the return port is covered in the first small amount of piston movement. If it remains covered because of misadjustment it will have the same effect as a plugged return port. Both problems will cause the rear and one of the front calipers to remain applied

Thanks Jimh352
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
You can get a rebuild kit for that master cylinder. If you are going to replace it, meaning you will have to remove it, might as well rebuild. There is no new replacement for that. Good luck on the removal it's a b---h. You didn't replace the rotors by any chance did you? Standards and Interstates use a 5MM width and the others have 10 MM rotors. I am currently rebuilding a 84 Standard myself, my second one.
Hi Dodge,
I have had the master cylinder off a few times now. I have not rebuilt it, just ran a wire through the relief hole and put it back on. Was not that difficult. I have not changed the rotors. I have never touched the pushrod adjustment and the brake used to work fine? Was hoping to find a new master cylinder after market but I guess there is no such thing. I guess I will try a rebuild kit and will re-check the pushrod adjustment first. Thanks
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:48 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
And the saga continues.

As I said earlier if you can bleed the brakes the return hole isn't blocked.

The problem is downstream.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:08 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
There is a pressure reducing valve that is not serviceable in the rear master cylinder. I think it's purpose is to reduce rear pressure so the rear wheel does not slide. I am not familiar with the master as I did have an 85 but never a rear brake issue. Are you sure both right front and rear brake is dragging? When it locks do you crack the front? Did you try the rear? Did you try turning the front tire when it was stuck.
I am just beginning to think you might have an issue with the pressure reducing valve but I am not familiar with how it works. The service manual says it is not serviceable but sometimes you can find a way around that.
I would be very interested to know if both wheels lock and if both release by opening the front or rear bleeder.
Might tear into it if you are persuaded that is the issue. Either way you will have to buy another master and it would be very interesting to see what is in there. Beware! it is possible there is a heavy spring. Might be why they say non serviceable. Don't want you to get hurt.
MalcolmX likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:41 AM

Year: 2004
Model: , 1982 GL1100 Standard, 2004 GL 1800
Glad it's easy for you ! Usually the threads on the master are messed up and are hard to start. That internal pressure thingy isn't reachable. If you haven't rebuilt the master it would be a good place to start. Be sure to get you boot cover in right and your split ring in correctly. If you don't the entire internals will move and not function correctly. Just a thought.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
There is a pressure reducing valve that is not serviceable in the rear master cylinder. I think it's purpose is to reduce rear pressure so the rear wheel does not slide. I am not familiar with the master as I did have an 85 but never a rear brake issue. Are you sure both right front and rear brake is dragging? When it locks do you crack the front? Did you try the rear? Did you try turning the front tire when it was stuck.
I am just beginning to think you might have an issue with the pressure reducing valve but I am not familiar with how it works. The service manual says it is not serviceable but sometimes you can find a way around that.
I would be very interested to know if both wheels lock and if both release by opening the front or rear bleeder.
Might tear into it if you are persuaded that is the issue. Either way you will have to buy another master and it would be very interesting to see what is in there. Beware! it is possible there is a heavy spring. Might be why they say non serviceable. Don't want you to get hurt.
Thanks Redwing!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page