Dennis, you hit my "motivation" button with this thread. I had parked my '91 GL1500 8-10 years ago out in the elements, so I watched the windshield get worse and worse with each passing day, month, year. The deteriorating condition of the windshield was the trigger that made me get off my butt and get it "roadworthy" again. I'm happy to have the beast up and running again but I was unhappy that I didn't try to repair/restore the original windshield.
It was one of the first things I replaced when I got the beast back on the road. I've ordered a 3M kit as seen in the video in the hopes that it'll work.
In the meantime though, I decided to try the toothpaste method.
I gathered a tube of Arm&Hammer toothpaste for $3 (the one with baking soda and Peroxide), a foam "applicator", a spray bottle with water (free), and my old Ronson Ultra Shine electric shoe polisher with terry-cloth pad/disc that I used on my motor-boots "back-in-the-day". It spins at 300-400 rpm (i think).
The first pic is the original windshield as it looked when I took it off in May '17. https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...attach/jpg.gif
The second pic is the results of the "toothpaste" on the left side, nothing done to the right side.
The third pic is the windshield sitting on its side with the left side on top, right side on bottom.
The last one it the windshield sitting on its side with the RIGHT side on top and the left side on bottom.
The experiment was a partial success, , , The improvement is very noticeable but it is NOT roadworthy IMHO. Maybe more polishing/buffing would work, , , ,but I'll wait for the 3M kit and try it on the right side for a comparison.