LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Good....

I will have to look at my electric drill, it probably turns at about that speed.

My battery drill is most likely half that maybe?

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I put a couple hours in tonight. First, 2 sandings with 1200 grit, then 2 with 2000. Out of curiosity, I did the top ľ of the shield again with 2 more sandings, then a bunch of rubbing compound, then polishing compound. Lots of sanding marks are left from the heavier grit papers, meaning a lot more 2000, then some 3000 will be needed to get the shield even close to usable.

Bottom line is; it's not worth it. I literally have bleeding fingers from the hand sanding. However, I think the shield that's on the bike now can be cleaned up and used a while longer. I just need to go no lower than 1200 grit when sanding the old clear coat off.

And John, yes, the 3M kit will probably work fine for you, or, you could try some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, followed by some McGuire's Polish. That may be enough without the sanding.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wa...pound/16888958

AZgl1800 likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:42 AM

Year: 1991
Model: Gl1500 SE
Hi all
it sounds like the 3M kit has had some success. it sounds like a finer final polish solution is required, ill have a chat next week with a mate who repairs & restores watches & see if he has anything in the magic bag.
ill post on here as soon as I get an answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post

or, you could try some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, followed by some McGuire's Polish. That may be enough without the sanding.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wa...pound/16888958

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G123...plastic+polish
Dennis,
I tend to agree with you.
The sandpaper just scares me because 2/3rd of the lenses are still almost clear. Why scratch them up?

It is just the central port of the lens that is cloudy, I want to try and remove that.

On Cyndi's car, the 2005 Vibe that a deer totalled out, I had just bought new new headlight assemblies for it not two weeks before it was totalled!!!

I wanted to remove them and take them home..... but, on that car, you have to take off the entire front facia, bumper, and the two side fenders covers.... all that, just to uncover where the securing bolts are at

so, I hope to prevent going thru that again... those thing are hugely expensive, even from JC Whitney where I bought them at half price compared to other places.
BLUTHUNDR31 likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 05:49 PM

Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
Sorry Bike, , , and Dennis for "jumping" Johns previous question, I thought he was asking me, (Bluthunder=First name is Dennis also, and John and I had spoken on the phone a few hours earlier), the question. I'll wait for your answer to him next time. If I have "input" I'll wait , , , Sorry again
post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluthunder View Post
Sorry Bike, , , and Dennis for "jumping" Johns previous question, I thought he was asking me, (Bluthunder=First name is Dennis also, and John and I had spoken on the phone a few hours earlier), the question. I'll wait for your answer to him next time. If I have "input" I'll wait , , , Sorry again

Well, you're going to have to change your name or it will be nothing but chaos and anarchy around here...

No problem, really. The site relies on the opinions of the collective being boiled down to a usable suggestion. And, if nothing else, this collective is opinionated. But that's just my opinion...

And besides all of that, you have the experience with the 3M product, so your opinion has some weight. And...if all that's not enough, I wondered why he was asking me. You were the one touting, and using, the product.

And the answer to that is; he was asking you.
Ken Bergen and BLUTHUNDR31 like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:04 PM

LOL, , In THAT case, , I agree with Dennis , , , (pick one)

John, use blue Painters tape on all of the clear parts of the lights so they stay clear. Cover the blue tape with duct tape, or gorilla tape because the blue stuff comes off so easily. Duct tape/Gorilla tape on the lense will leave a sticky residue that can be a bugger to remove. Leaving the cloudy center part of the lense exposed for the compound & polish will almost certainly make it "blend" in with the clear part after you remove the tape.

I wonder if Dennis agrees, , , , hmmmmm
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluthunder View Post
LOL, , In THAT case, , I agree with Dennis , , , (pick one)

John, use blue Painters tape on all of the clear parts of the lights so they stay clear. Cover the blue tape with duct tape, or gorilla tape because the blue stuff comes off so easily. Duct tape/Gorilla tape on the lense will leave a sticky residue that can be a bugger to remove. Leaving the cloudy center part of the lense exposed for the compound & polish will almost certainly make it "blend" in with the clear part after you remove the tape.

I wonder if Dennis agrees, , , , hmmmmm
I am going with the collective Dennis's the Menaces here

y'all have talked me into not using sandpaper, just the compound and polish it up
BLUTHUNDR31 likes this.

~ John

post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Model: GL1500SE
I did some unrelated work for a company that refinished plastic parts. Basically they suspended the parts over a vat of heated solvent that dissolved the surface, making it wet out. When the solvent evaporated the parts looked like new. Not that much different than how a parts cleaner works.

Warning: Some of those chemicals are carcinogenic.

IMO As much as one polishes with finer grits the scratches will just get smaller to become an annoyance with night driving, showing swirls.

You aren't looking through a headlight so a different process is needed.

If I ran across the stuff and the time to play with it I would try sanding down to as fine a grit as I could fully removing the protective layer. Then I would try a layer of window tint to give the gloss and restore scratch protection.

I should be able to get to the testing sometime in the next decade or two. My retirement has been a bit sporadic, worked four days last week plus hours of telephone consultation done for free.

That video raised two concerns. Never use Windex on acrylic as it crazes the plastic in time. The parts probably weren't acrylic but keep it in mind.

Secondly, the comment is made to re-wax every once in a while. How long is a while?

Len
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 05:30 PM

After I clean up the back-up windshield, I'm planning on doing the Tahoe headlights, , , the PO must've parked headed-in against thick bushes ALOT!!!

John, are the headlights on the Vibe this bad?? Looks like I'll try the rubbing compound first, , , , but a nagging feeling makes me think it'll be sandpaper-time if the results aren't any good.

DRIVER HEADLIGHT

PASSENGER HEADLIGHT

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TahoeDrivrHeadlight2_B4.jpg (92.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg TahoePassengerHeadlight_B4.jpg (97.5 KB, 77 views)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page