Pack some spare gas in your luggage! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1979 GL1000
Pack some spare gas in your luggage!

Found this neat, slim rectangular 1.3 gallon gas can on EBay (around $40), thought it might fit into my Hondaline hard luggage..& it did quite nicely..mounted it to the metal spine of the suitcase with metal screws, & a 3/4" wood spacer. The gas jug has nice quality rubber seals, don't think it'll leak in there (I haven't wet-tested it yet..) Even dry, nice to have a gas can when/if the need arises...check it out!
Carsh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0739.jpg (98.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0741.jpg (116.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0743.jpg (91.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0747.jpg (86.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0745.jpg (71.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0746.jpg (71.6 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I too, carry a 1 gallon Jerry can in the right saddle bag....
mine fits snugly into the rear portion and is nearly out of sight even with the door open.

The knowledge that you have 30+ miles in your pocket for that "aw crap moment" makes like a lot less stressful for me.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:44 PM

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
I got a 2 liter jug I carry when on long rides. I think Im going to convert my right Bag to a cooler with a lining and put a drain plug in it so as the ice melts it runs out as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw View Post
I got a 2 liter jug I carry when on long rides. I think Im going to convert my right Bag to a cooler with a lining and put a drain plug in it so as the ice melts it runs out as well.
I would make that a 1/4 turn valve, we need to keep that cold water for a while...

I really enjoy my emergency gas can
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas Can in Bike.jpg (66.7 KB, 27 views)
Screw likes this.

~ John

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 05:13 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
Never run out of gas!

If you fill up at half a tank, it's almost impossible to run out of gas.

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:45 PM

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
Almost, depends if it a Sunday over here in Eastern Oregon. Unless Scotty's is open down in Hells Canyon its a Lonely ride with no gas from Baker to Hells Canyon and back, unless to head towards La Grande from Hells Canyon. I've had to do that before. Now thank god I got a Pacific Pride card on the Ranch property, there is one in Halfway and Richland. Not sure how this Pumping your own gas is really working out there in the sticks. Never bothered me but some folks actually have never pumped there own gas around here. Scotty's in Hells Canyon has Non-Ethanol as well, there good folks too. We have 7 Gas stations now in town Only 1 doesnt have attendants after 6:30p the other 2 that stay open 24hrs still has there's. I know another lonely stretch is to Vegas, better fill up in Ely thats for sure especially at night. We use those little gas cans on our Snow Mobiles too, never know whats going to happen out in the middle of no where.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 10:04 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
This was a priceless oh crap moment.

I pulled into a small town with only seven gas stations There had been lightening storms that cut the towns power and when the power came back on not one of those stations could pump gas, and they say that there's no collusion and price fixing.
Luckily a local resident directed me to a station on a near by native reservation that wasn't part of the ring.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
I don't think a small amount of spare gas helps much. It would if you don't know you have it till you run out of fuel.Otherwise you keep on pushing the limit.

My son used to set his watch 10 min fast so he would have extra 10 min to wake up late and still be on time. The problem was that he knew about the clock running fast and would in occasions still be late.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 AM

Garage
Peter, I agree, just a 1 or 2 liter bottle of fuel would be just about useless unless you can see "that fuel station up ahead" and don't want to push the bike...

but 1 gallon is well worth having on board, that is 30-40 miles that I don't have to push.

Never had a need for it yet, but I came very close just south of Oarks, AR one time, I went right through our meet up point in Clarksville, AR and us guys just talked and talked.... and then we head out..... duh, I forgot to stop for fuel BEFORE our meeting point.

got a few miles further north towards Oark and happened to see the Low Fuel light bright as day.... uh oh, how long has that been burning???

luckily, there was a one pump at a tiny store, stopped and pumped in 6.7 gallons

that experience is what caused me to buy a 1 gallon Jerry can.

For me, it is critical, my medical condition will not allow me to stay out in hot sun, or in very cold temps. So, I must be able to get to the next stop. I well remember my return home from going to the east coast, temps running 97 to 101 and the humidity up in the 90% range..... I would go 1.5 to 2.0 hours and rent a hotel, or stop in a convenience store, and wait until my body cooled off....

and that was with me wearing a Phase Change cooling vest.... I can't deal with high humidity anymore.

~ John

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:24 AM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
Those cans look like RotopaX. RotopaX has a ton of options. Here is a sidecar supplier that I've worked with before that happens to have RotopaX. I have not bought RotopaX from Jay, but can vouch for him being a stand-up guy!

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/accessories/test-accessory/

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page