My two left carbs aren't working - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
I would like someone to blow a little compressed air in that hole and see where it come out. I see a hole on the inside chamber that sort of matches up with the hole in question???.
I have an extra carb rack. I'll be taking it to the shop to tomorrow to investigate. There is a casting on the outside of the carb body. But as Dave said, there isn't a hole. None that I can see. It looks as if the hole has been closed by a bb shot from the factory.......
The operating vacuum for the diaphragm does indeed pass through the slide to the top of the diaphragm.
redwing52 likes this.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:04 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
This is the only picture I could find of the diaphragm cap, it's from a GL1500 but the same principle.
Hmmmmm... interesting Ken. You might well be right. Is your last picture of the diaphragm cover or the throttle body? If that is a picture of the throttle body it vents below the diaphragm. If you stuy the pictures I posted it vents above the diaphragm. Is it possible that hole keeps both/either side open to atmosphere so it can move freely? My problem is I can't imagine the slide moving so quickly with that small hole. The size of the chamber is large and to raise up it has to overcome the spring pressure as well. Could the air from top of the diaphragm go through that hole to the bottom and vice versa? Maybe someone with an old carb will blow compressed air in the hole and figure it out>>>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z.jpg (154.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg zz.jpg (233.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg zzz.jpg (203.8 KB, 3 views)

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhonda View Post
I have an extra carb rack. I'll be taking it to the shop to tomorrow to investigate. There is a casting on the outside of the carb body. But as Dave said, there isn't a hole. None that I can see. It looks as if the hole has been closed by a bb shot from the factory.......
The operating vacuum for the diaphragm does indeed pass through the slide to the top of the diaphragm.
Another puzzle.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 PM

Garage
Obviously, I haven't been to work yet, but have a theory. I'll let everyone know tomorrow. But for right now, I suspect both vacuum sources are used. The small port in question, at just off idle may allow initial vacuum to the diaphragm though a "ported" vacuum source. A transition circuit, if you will. At which point, venturi vacuum takes over and modulates the slide accordingly?

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
On some carbs of this type that hole is connected to the enrichening valve to raise the slide slightly when "choked". Why it's used on some and not others I don't know.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1986
Make: HONDA
Model: ASP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
There is no hole there. They work as Redwing described. Have you checked the plug wire position yet? 1234 right to left on the coils.
I'll check, but I think that If the wires were in wrong position, all four carbs will work bad.
But to be sure, I'll check.

On the other end, this Thread starting to go to the correct direction.
To my opinion, The only thing that is counter to the spring is this vacuum port.

lg, waiting for your check!
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:35 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastr View Post
I'll check, but I think that If the wires were in wrong position, all four carbs will work bad.
But to be sure, I'll check.

On the other end, this Thread starting to go to the correct direction.
To my opinion, The only thing that is counter to the spring is this vacuum port.

lg, waiting for your check!
Only the ones that are out of position wouldn't fire. If you have 1&3 correct and 2&4 backward 1&3 will still fire. You are entitled to your opinion but you are wrong on that vacuum port.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM

Year: 1977, et al
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1000/1200
With two on backwards or out of order they will fire on the exhaust stroke and cause firecracker loud backfires. To the original poster, have you traced the wires and proven that they are on correctly?
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekvh1 View Post
With two on backwards or out of order they will fire on the exhaust stroke and cause firecracker loud backfires. To the original poster, have you traced the wires and proven that they are on correctly?
He seems determined to have a carb problem and not interested in looking elsewhere.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1986
Make: HONDA
Model: ASP.
I'm not determent at nothing.
Checked the electric side before and find nothing, but about the coils wire I don't remember, so I'll check!
To solve the problem I'll check everything you'll say.
I even opened the left head cover to check the valves shims.
Thanks for your help.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page