6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
GL1500 Light Bar Questions

H'okay, so I am working on an aux light project. I plan on adding a total of 6 extra LED light pods to the front. I already have a fuse box relay set up and ready to connect and I know I'll need a high output alternator.

I've already done a full LED conversion on all the major lights, but even with super bright H4s, I still can't see too far in front of me on pitch black roads. I had maybe 20 feet of truly illuminated road distance. I could see farther, but could not clearly see. I'm pretty sure this is because of the nature of the headlight projecting a "blob" of light rather than anything focused. My Miata was the same way until I swapped to a pair of LED 7" round projectors that were intended for jeeps.

The plan is to get a pair of side shooter/spot/flood combo pods and aim them down to complement the curb lights and project in front a bit more. Next is a pair of 6" spot/flood combo pods to be aimed slightly higher and project farther down the road. Both of these mentioned will be tied into a switch and into the low beam circuit. Finally, a pair of spotlights that will be tied into a switch and on the high beam circuit to provide the extra light straight down the road on those pitch black country roads.

Here's the question, though... I can't seem to find a lot of information regarding light bars. From what I've seen, there are basically 3 kinds.

First, we have these boys, it looks like they attach behind the forks at the top of the radiator grill.

Second, we have this type. They seem to attach right under the headlight.

Finally, I'm seeing these, but I'm not sure where they mount or if that hardpoint is already taken up. No interest in the lights themselves, but that bar looks nice.

Would appreciate input or pictures if you have these mounted on your bike. I'm fairly sure I can pull off the first 2 at the same time and mount 4 of them on the big bar and 2 on the small bar.

What I'm thinking is mount the side shooters and the flood/spot combos on the big bar and aim them down and the spot beam pods on the high beams will be mounted up high and angled down to prevent blinding of other cars. Any advice on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 03:31 PM

Model: Aspencade
The picture I provided is an example of your first pictured light bar. It uses the two bolts at the front of the nose. The third picture you provided uses the same two bolts, I believe. They are a little tight to get in position sometimes. I have not seen your middle picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2998.JPG (11.7 KB, 87 views)
limpy45 likes this.

1989 Kawasaki 454
1987 Honda Super Magna
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
1992 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2006 Suzuki Katana 750
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
1998 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2012 Harley Softail Slim
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:25 PM

Year: 1993
Model: '93 GL1500 SE "Blue Angel"
Send a message via Skype™ to gipsy42
Hello Jadednotalgic:
I'm using the one shown in first pict, added a specal bracket that I made and there are atached two sets of lights plus an air horn. Currently I'm replacing those sets with dual 5 in. Led proyectors.
Mario
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC290078a.jpg (83.5 KB, 32 views)
limpy45 likes this.

Mario
And still riding...
I just regrets the things I haven't done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I just noticed you were from Argentina; I bet you have the most beautiful cruises down there! Thanks for the picture, that looks like an acceptable setup.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
First of all, I would check with the local/state police to see if it is even legal to have that many forward facing lights. I see that Florida does not have vehicle safety inspections, but to be safe before you put in all the work and money, check it out. Also, if you ride in a state that does prohibit excessive lighting, you may be pulled over.
And, even though you are using LED's, what is the total current draw going to be. Will the bike wiring handle it?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cihilb View Post
First of all, I would check with the local/state police to see if it is even legal to have that many forward facing lights. I see that Florida does not have vehicle safety inspections, but to be safe before you put in all the work and money, check it out. Also, if you ride in a state that does prohibit excessive lighting, you may be pulled over.
And, even though you are using LED's, what is the total current draw going to be. Will the bike wiring handle it?
"the other states" could be handled by making sure that each set of extra lights has its' own on/off switch.

Cross a state line, turn off all the non-standard stuff until you pass enough bikes to get an idea of what that state allows.
detdrbuzzard likes this.

~ John

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
If you read the fine print most LED light bars and pods are sold for off road use only.

I've not heard of any motorcycles getting pulled over but 4X4 trucks are being pulled over as the lights not only need to be off but also covered so you can't use them at all while on the road.
limpy45 likes this.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:04 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
If you read the fine print most LED light bars and pods are sold for off road use only.

I've not heard of any motorcycles getting pulled over but 4X4 trucks are being pulled over as the lights not only need to be off but also covered so you can't use them at all while on the road.

I can see that on the 4x4 trucks, they have their lights up above the cab of the truck, and that is illegal in every state down here on the highways.

Our lights are handlebar height or lower, and I have never been stopped once and asked about my lights.
limpy45 likes this.

~ John

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
John I'm talking about bumper mounted LEDs not the old "Pit Lamping" spot lights on the roof.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The plan is to wire them to a switch. On the highway, there's no need for them; I just want them for backroads and especially dark areas.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page