GL1500 over the years - Leading Links fitment - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

An EZ steer is a triple tree with the rake modified to decrease the trail, making steering on sidecars or trikes less effort for the pilot. I call it that. I think that is actually a brand name. there are several companies that make them. So my naming convention could wrong.

John
1995 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VF750c
2014 Honda CTX 700
2015 Ural Sidecar - Gear up Forest Camo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

The Ural always gets attention. Especially when the dog is the monkey.
it can be hard to just run errands with the Ural. UDF ( Ural delay factor ). Wow, what year is that? Who makes it? it looks like an old BMW. Sometimes I want to just hand over a prewrittn FAQ 😜

Sometimes itís fun chatting about it with folks, other times you want just get through the honey do list.

You had an 06. Those years had more reliability challenges. They have gotten more reliable and safer (with advent of three wheel disk brakes). They actually stop now 👍
But there are Rediculously expensive... the dealer I bought mine from took a new one and put every upgrade and farkle he could and slapped a 30k sticker ! That is not a typo. Thirty thousand dollars ! I paid half that and felt that was was about 30% over priced, but I wanted a new one with the warranty brakes and fuel injection.

John
1995 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VF750c
2014 Honda CTX 700
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 07:26 AM

Welcome.

Did you buy the red one out on Cape Cod? I saw that one on Craigslist off and on and thought it was a very nice looking setup.

There is also a Valkyrie with a hack that has been for sale on CL that has leading link suspension. I haven't seen that ad in a while but might be worth a visit and inspection on your part.

Curious as to why you have decided to make the change to the front suspension.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Yes, the red one from the cape. Came with paint matched trailer as well.

Switch to LL. Couple reasons, the shocks up front are tired, so they need addressing. There is already a car tire outback and on the sidecar, so my sense of symmetry will be satisfied. Car tires of course go many more miles. I can mount run flat tires front and back. LL are much stronger and much less likely to experience an active failure. Braking will be improved with bigger tire patch up front. I think they look cool 😎. The wing has so much torque I often snow plow while accelerating from stop around corners, so improved front traction.

Ya. All that

John
1995 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VF750c
2014 Honda CTX 700
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Bump. Can anyone speak to my original question ?

John
1995 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VF750c
2014 Honda CTX 700
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
John,

I have a suggestion. Ask your question in the Tech forum (the the parent forum to this forum). Ask if there were any changes to the GL1500 steering dimensions over the years. Avoid mentioning itís for a 3-wheel setup or that you want to swap in a leading link. You really just need to know if the triple trees and/or steering neck ever changed.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:41 AM

Year: 1994
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvanhook View Post
The Ural always gets attention. Especially when the dog is the monkey.
it can be hard to just run errands with the Ural. UDF ( Ural delay factor ). Wow, what year is that? Who makes it? it looks like an old BMW. Sometimes I want to just hand over a prewrittn FAQ 😜
I don't know if they still do it, but a few years ago Ural had what they called a Ural Ambassador program - you signed up online and they sent you a packet with a bunch of brochures, and cards to hand out to all those people ogling the bikes!

We used to have people tell us that we did a great job restoring that old BMW! When we told them it was a 2006 model they were flabbergasted! We once met up with a bunch of friends at a local Harley dealership - close to $1M worth of motorcycles in the parking lot, and EVERYBODY, including the sales staff, was crowding around our bike, checking it out!

Alan Hepburn
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar
San Jose, Ca
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, the red one from the cape. Came with paint matched trailer as well.
Great buy. Looked really nice in pix and description.

Quote:

Switch to LL. Couple reasons, the shocks up front are tired, so they need addressing. There is already a car tire outback and on the sidecar, so my sense of symmetry will be satisfied. Car tires of course go many more miles. I can mount run flat tires front and back. LL are much stronger and much less likely to experience an active failure. Braking will be improved with bigger tire patch up front. I think they look cool 😎. The wing has so much torque I often snow plow while accelerating from stop around corners, so improved front traction.

Ya. All that
I'm a darksider so I clearly understand your desire. I'd really like to see once you make the conversion.

Regarding your original question, I know all the maintenance parts (seals, springs, brake parts) are all the same for all the GL1500 bikes. I can't think of anything in the front that doesn't interchange across 1988-2000.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Cote View Post
Great buy. Looked really nice in pix and description.

I'm a darksider so I clearly understand your desire. I'd really like to see once you make the conversion.

Regarding your original question, I know all the maintenance parts (seals, springs, brake parts) are all the same for all the GL1500 bikes. I can't think of anything in the front that doesn't interchange across 1988-2000.
Thanks for the input.

John
1995 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VF750c
2014 Honda CTX 700
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by siouxindian View Post
i know what a leading link is but what is easy steer?
This is EZ Steer, it is a set of modified triple trees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (5.0 KB, 4 views)

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page