1500 No start - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1983
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1100 Interstate
I did the crossing of terminal with screwdriver and with a wire from positive terminal to directly to the stud on the right side of relay
A. I got power to the fuses and the starter did work. I just replaced tha relay last year. so I guess I need to replace it again as there is no clicking that I can feel when crossing terminals. Fuse is also good. When I cross the terminal I do get power to relay B also and it clicks I can feel it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 10:14 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend 63 View Post
I did the crossing of terminal with screwdriver and with a wire from positive terminal to directly to the stud on the right side of relay
A. I got power to the fuses and the starter did work. .
That looks to me like you have the relay connected backward.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:37 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
A. I got power to the fuses and the starter did work. I just replaced tha relay last year. so I guess I need to replace it again as there is no clicking that I can feel when crossing terminals. Fuse is also good. When I cross the terminal I do get power to relay B also and it clicks I can feel it.
Relay "A" will not click when you jump it as described. That is normal. Before you condemn the relay "A" you might want to try this. Do tests #1 and #2 below.

Test #1: With the key and kill switch on hook the test light as illustrated below. Yes that funny looking thing is a test light. With the alligator clamp grounded (negative battery) find the little Yellow wire with the red (yel/rd) stripe on relay "A" and probe as the illustration shows. Each time you push the start button the test light must light. Does it? If it lights go to test #2.

Test #2: Key and kill switch on. Hook the test light as illustrated below. Alligator clamp on battery positive. ( Battery +) With the bike in neutral (neutral light on) probe the small Brown wire with the red stripe on relay "A".(brnl/rd) The test light should light at all times in neutral. (no need to push start button, Will make the test invalid if you push the start button) If not raise the side stand and pull in the clutch. The light should light with the clutch pulled in only. (light goes out with clutch out) Does the light come on for any/all of the tests? Check back with us with results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XX.jpg (46.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg X.jpg (49.8 KB, 19 views)
legend 63 likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
That looks to me like you have the relay connected backward.
so why would it have worked before??????
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:15 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
so why would it have worked before??????
I'm just going by what you posted. You haven't done much as far as doing what people have suggested to diagnose the problem, just jumping around here and there and jumping to conclusions that turn out wrong.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 05:53 AM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Larry, There is a wiring diagram for the starting circuit at post # 25 and post # 30.

Look at them...........!!!!!
Larry, the only time these knowledgeable guys have not quikcly solved my problems on both of my bikes was when I didn't do EXACTLY what they suggested! There a number go great guys here that, by personal experience, know the precise sequence required to eliminate a number of variables in the troubleshoot process.
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

I realize they are very knowledgeable and informative plus trying to help me solve the issue. I have been working 12 + a day so not much time to do testing. I will be post back hopefully tonight results.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to reply but it is fixed.

Did test that were suggested then replaced Relay A and problem solved. Bike is back together and going down the road.
Thanks for all the help much apprfeciated

Larry
redwing52 likes this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page