anti dive, 94gl1500 SE sidecar rig - Page 9 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneSEowner View Post
Hey Rick. You like pics
Here are a few pics from my 630 mile test ride last weekend.

If you would fill in your profile, posts like that would have more meaning.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
When you disabled yours did you do both sides? Or do you only have it on one? I have all the external hardware but I don't know if the left fork is functional. It does not dive when I hit the rear brake

It won't dive very much at all with only the rear brake pedal pressed.

grab a hand full of front brake along with the rear brake and it will dive if it can.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #83 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Make: Various
Quote:
I just came in from mine doing wiring repairs on the rear lights that someone patched together with trailer connectors. Those things are the worst thing ever manufactured! I keep some in all of my tool boxes for emergency repairs but I also have regular heat shrink connectors of all types for a permanent repair when I get to my destination. I was in Washington State in my trucking days but not in that area.
Wow... who did you drive for? I drove for Schneider for a short period of time and then for a local trucking company here in Woodland, 5 days a week no week ends home almost every night except on special jobs pay by the hr. I stayed there 11 years. Seems we have some things in common.

I never made it to the garage. Nice day here, sunny and 80 degrees today, went for a ride. Supposed to be rain tomorrow. I'll go stare at fork parts tomorrow. hehehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
It won't dive very much at all with only the rear brake pedal pressed.

grab a hand full of front brake along with the rear brake and it will dive if it can.
yup been there done that..... my handle bar brake lever activates the side car brake and the right front caliper. My brake pedal activates the left front caliper and the rear brake.
post #85 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 SE
I drove for Allied moving for a while and then long haul for an independent. I got home about once a month if that. Ended up homeless in Portland Or. when the jobs all fell flat and the owner took over the driving and left me out in the cold. Everything I owned was in NJ and I was a typical 25 year old guy who spent each paycheck before I got it. The good thing was that I did not drink so I was in much better shape than most of the others on the street and therefore was in a better position to get small jobs and better places to stay. Finally got a codriver job and made my way back east.

Last edited by Rickf1985; 06-03-2018 at 08:07 AM.
post #86 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:56 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneSEowner View Post
yup been there done that..... my handle bar brake lever activates the side car brake and the right front caliper. My brake pedal activates the left front caliper and the rear brake.
That sir sounds like farm tractor brakes where you can steer with just the brakes.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #87 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
That sir sounds like farm tractor brakes where you can steer with just the brakes.
Hahaha, that's funny. My rig was set up by CSC in 2007 with a new friendship 3 car. It stops straight as an arrow if I only use the front brake lever or both the front and back. If I just use the brake pedal there is a very slight pull to the left. And I mean slight ! because the pedal activates the motorcycle brakes and not the car so you have a bunch of dead weight trying to push the bike to the left. Sometimes I don't even notice it if the crown of the road is enough .
post #88 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I drove for Allied moving for a while and then long haul for an independent. I got home about once a month if that. Ended up homeless in Portland Or. when the jobs all feel flat and the owner took over the driving and left me out in the cold. Everything I owned was in NJ and I was a typical 25 year old guy who spent each paycheck before I got it. The good thing was that I did not drink so I was in much better shape than most of the others on the street and therefore was in a better position to get small jobs and better places to stay. Finally got a codriver job and made my way back east.
That's a pretty funny story Rick. prolly wasn't funny at the time though.
post #89 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 06:29 PM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
If you are going to write up a long dissertation, ALWAYS type it into an Editor of some kind, any editor...

Forums are NOT stable enough to keep your connection active for longer than about 2 minutes..... this is because you are not sending requests to the server, and then the server TIMES OUT.

This is completely normal, and it is designed into the server to keep it running smoothly and not hanging up because someone ran off and left their computer alone for 30 days at a time.

Copy your text, then paste it into the forum's editor and hit SUBMIT.

you can insert the pictures into your plain text by referring to their URL and they will show up exactly where you want them.

it will work.
i need an editor.

life is good.
post #90 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:03 PM
Banned

Year: 1986
Make: honda
Model: gl1200A
when yu have shallow rake, mushy suspension that dives under braking, you get headshake like a dog chittin peach seeds. shorten the tubes and tire gets closer to chassis , harsher headshake. tankslappers suck.

could honda fix it? yep, but that would require stiffer damping , or anti dive.................magazines dont give good reviews for things that work.

personally, i will do as you did oneseowner and actually tune the suspension.

thanks for your work. i will also correct that unified braking thingy!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page