1997 Goldwing GL1500 Jerks under 2,000 RPM - Page 13 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimsters View Post
I've been following this thread and doing the suggest repairs/replacements. Temp sensor in the water pipe. Checking all vac. lines for proper connections. It's been weeks since the carb was off so I can't remember seeing the bent or kinked vacuum lines. Gad, I hate to pull that off again. I have not checked the plugs, but will tonight. The bike has been setting for 6 yrs. Carbs rebuilt, lots of little things repaired and replaced throughout the systems. It runs much better than a few month back but now has this surge at low throttle, as the core of this thread is focused on. Here's a video I shot tonight of the bike fully warmed up, throttle set to 2k rpms and held. No choke. Really frustrating to say the least.
https://youtu.be/428yrXPoxcU

Thanks for the help on this.

That sounds awful! First, I suspect the fuel mixture is not right. Did you sync the carbs and also perform adjustment of the idle mixture screw?

Also sounds like it is misfiring on 1 or 2 cylinders. Have you checked the plugs and wires? And also the C57 electrical connector on the harness above the right radiator cooling fan?

That sounds like an obvious misfire going on. Leaking vacuum lines will also cause problems, but in my honest opinion, based on what I'm hearing, you are having a fuel mixture issue, along with possible fouled plugs. I'm learning that the nickel plated plugs on these machines do not last very long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by briese View Post
You guys are making me feel guilty. I've got better than 40K miles on the plugs in my 1500. Fuel economy is still at 37 mpg or better and the engine runs great. By the way, there is 173000 miles on the bike. Guess I should change those plugs soon.

That's very good! I wish mine got 37 mpg. The weird thing is on some days, I actually got about 38mpg; I have yet to break 40mpg. But it seems on average, I'm getting about 32-34mpg. What's your secret?

Just out of curiosity, do you remember the last time you tuned the carbs? If so, do you recall how many turns you did on the idle mixture screws? Mine I set at 3.5 turns. But to be honest, with the idle mixture screws all of the way in, I noticed RPM increases and stabilization at just 1.5 turns and there was no change on up to 3.5 turns. So I just left them their. Perhaps I should do it right and back them all of the way in, and turn the screws out until RPM increases and stop right there.
post #123 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Trimsters, you need to start your own thread if you want help with your bike's issues.
Aren't the issues the same? I'll start a new thread. But thought it more economical if I posted within a similar issue thread.

Robert & Lisa Trim

2006 GW Navi (Mine/ours)
1997 Asplencade 1500 (for sale)
2004 Yamaha VStar 650 (hers)
1984 Honda 250 Elite scooter, restored (hers)
International 4800 DTE pulling a 36' toy hauler for the above toys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I've never bothered to change plugs until it was apparent they needed to be changed.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #125 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:30 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterhooker0 View Post
The Honda Service Manual states plug replacement at 12.5K mile intervals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
That's better than the recommended 4K miles for the four bangers.

That's just recommended service intervals, nothing to do with reality. They say 16,000 mi. on 1800s but I run them 50K with no problem and they still look good when I change them.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #126 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Bike ran beautiful today. No jerking of any kind, very smooth ride, lots of low-end torque, and no stalling. So problem solved. I think the bike will be near perfect once I replace the plug wires, and the exhaust system. I found an exhaust leak at the collector (what ever its called) that comes off the exhaust manifold and joins in with the mufflers. That's not a very cheap part either. Way too expensive. If it's just a hole, I'll probably try plugging it with JB weld or something. LOL Do Goldwing's really need that thing? Wouldn't the bike run just fine if I substituted the collector for a V-pipe which I saw on Ebay? It's basically a u-shaped pipe with welded fittings; one side for the exhaust manifold connection, and the other for the muffler connection. Anyone ever use these? Refer to to the picture.

My little trick to create a little backpressure seems to have worked. I simply stuffed the chrome end-cap (custom exhaust cap) with baffle wrap made of fiberglass (yes my arms are itching like crazy), and made sure that the holes are cleared of any debris or obstruction. Dropped the noise level down by about 10% percent and now the bike sounds clean. I noticed a slight increase in low-end torque from this. I'm sure the bike will run even better with the factory mufflers and collector fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (15.3 KB, 6 views)
post #127 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:43 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldwingA1500 View Post
That's even worse. So basically on the older 4 bangers, he plugs have to be replaced at every oil change. Wow!
Incorrect, recommended oil change interval was 8K miles.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #128 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Busdriver

Year: 1990
Model: GL1500, 172,000 KM
One of the first things I did years ago was remove my whole exhaust system, wire wheel all the joints and replace all the gaskets and copper crush seals at the manifolds too. Tightened up the system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collector.jpg (99.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pipes.jpg (104.8 KB, 16 views)
Bike...and Dennis likes this.
post #129 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
One of the first things I did years ago was remove my whole exhaust system, wire wheel all the joints and replace all the gaskets and copper crush seals at the manifolds too. Tightened up the system.

Looks great!

I found the exhaust leak; it's coming from the right exhaust manifold (one of the exhaust pipes); it's the one lowest to the ground. It appears the original owner dropped the bike on the right side, and damaged the right exhaust manifold. He also bent the forward lower cover bolt (or the lower frame) and I cannot get a socket on it so that I can remove the lower fairing. Man this poor bike was abused and yet I just hit 40,000 miles. Technically, notwithstanding its age (1997 Goldwing), this bike is fairly new in a way. I can't believe how neglected this fine machine has had to endure. Thank goodness her new owner cares for his machines, and I'm going to eventually repair every nick, glitch, cosmetic discrepancy, and any other "gig" (Air Force term for discrepancy) I can find.

Rode the bike all day today with a friend. Went to the lake to check out some skin. Neither of us were very impressed if you catch my drift.

Bike had one hickup today, but appears to be fuel related. Came to a stop light and I smelled rich gas. I didn't see anything coming out of the drain tubes, but I think one of the floats didn't close all of the way, and so flooded the engine a little. So I bounced the throttle a few times to burn any access fuel, and within moment she returned to normal. I think I will definitely yank those carbs off next month once my parts come in, replace the float needle and seat, and set the floats at 8mm instead of 7mm as they are now. I may have to stop using ethanol based fuel and go back to using straight gasoline.

Anyone else having problems using modern fuels?
post #130 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 09:28 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
100% Gasoline is scarce in Denver, so I've given in and buy the fuel with booze in it. Never had any issues with it, and when I do find 100% Gasoline, frankly, I don't really notice any difference....
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page