LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Year: 1996
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
96 GL 1500 SE Alternator

96 GL1500Se with 48k on it.

Riding yesterday, two-up, after running around doing some errands. Cruise cuts out and won't re-engage. I fiddle with the pedals and grips to see if I've got something out of place. Nothing. No big deal; I'll sort it out when I get home.

A few miles later the dash starts flashing, and I lose engine power. It backfires a couple of times, then dies. I coast off to a stop.

When I try to start it, I don't even get a solenoid click, and the dash lights don't cut out like they should. A few minutes later, someone stops and offers jumper cables. After five minutes on the cables, it'll crank weakly. After 20 more minutes on the cables, it starts and idles well, until we pull the cables off. Then it dies within about a minute. By the time the tow truck got there, it had charged for another 20-ish minutes, and I was able to drive it up onto the flatbed.

With it being a 96, and the OEM alternator, (and 22 years old), I'm assuming my alternator has gone bad.

Here's my troubleshooting so far:
  • Bike off, battery shows 12.8 volts without having been charged since my breakdown. It's on a trickle charger now.
  • Bike started fine. At choke idle (about 2k RPM), battery showed 14.1 or so
  • At regular idle with no real load, battery showed 13.8 or so.
  • At regular idle with radio, driving lights and cruise turned on (but parked) it showed 12.7-ish

I know I need to check it at the alternator, but I don't know what points to test on the alternator.

I think I can do the repair itself, and I'm leaning toward the Lactrical. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. PO says the battery is just a couple of years old.
limpy45 likes this.

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
You may want to have the battery load tested. Does the bike have a maintenance free battery or conventional? When was the last time the alternator was opened and cleaned? It may just need a good cleaning and new brushes.
limpy45 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:57 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post

Here's my troubleshooting so far:
  • Bike off, battery shows 12.8 volts without having been charged since my breakdown. It's on a trickle charger now.
  • Bike started fine. At choke idle (about 2k RPM), battery showed 14.1 or so
  • At regular idle with no real load, battery showed 13.8 or so.
  • At regular idle with radio, driving lights and cruise turned on (but parked) it showed 12.7-ish

Your results are almost normal but after it gets good and hot it is probably failing. No need to check at the alternator itself.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
You may want to have the battery load tested. Does the bike have a maintenance free battery or conventional? When was the last time the alternator was opened and cleaned? It may just need a good cleaning and new brushes.
Conventional battery, and it's probably about 3.5 years (adding my ownership time to PO's comment). I wondered last night about its condition. I don't charge it on a regular basis, not even a battery tender. I'm not used to hot-weather riding, either. All of my riding until 2016 was in Ohio. The heat down here can be somewhat upsetting.

AFAIK, the alternator has never been opened and is confirmed to be OEM.

Probably going to add a voltmeter during my winter project time.

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 12:04 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
The heat down here can be somewhat upsetting.

That would mean so much more if we knew where you are. Please fill in your profile with a city and state.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Garage
Green Country is NE OK.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
You may want to think about a maintenance free battery and cleaning the alternator inside, add a fresh set of brushes and you'll be good to go. A battery tender is a great help when you're not riding.
I know the feeling with the hot, left Bellaire Ohio with friends and came to New Mexico its really hot here.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:30 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
+1 on the AGM battery (maintenance free battery). Also, cleaning the alternator. The brushes wear and create a LOT of carbon dust that makes the brushes stick in their holders. I kind of doubt they need to be changed yet. I'd just thoroughly clean the alternator, with particular attention to the brushes and holders, and see if you're not good to go. Mine acted the reverse of yours. When cold, it would not produce voltage, and after warming up, it was good.....most of the time. I cleaned out the alternator, and all was good until the rotor winding went south 6 months later. That was the end of it, and time for an 85A Lactrical. But, I wouldn't put too much faith in the wet cell battery that I assume you are using. AGM's rule in these bikes.
limpy45 likes this.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:28 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Green Country is NE OK.

if you would be more specific,

you might actually get some local help.

I'm in Oologah, 30 miles north of Tulsa.

~ John

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Garage
John, we met at one of the breakfast rides over a year ago. I'm on a white 96. Of course, you had a few other things going on in your life back then. I'm in the Muskogee area.

Oh, and my boys announced they're buying me a new alternator for Father's Day.
AZgl1800, flylow and Doug B. like this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page