post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Year: 1996
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
GL1500 Clear Front Turn Signals

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

My thought process:
I was perusing some LED bulbs a few days ago and found a set of "switchback LED bulbs. These show white under normal running light conditions, but then turn amber when they go to turn signal operation, and switch back to white after the turn. I thought that would be really cool on my 96. But the turn signal lenses on my bike are amber, so a switchback light would be pointless.

But what if I had a clear lens? That would look good with a switchback bulb.

I've searched for "gl1500 front turn signal lenses" but haven't had any luck. I'm either finding clear lenses for the 1800, the 1500 Valkyrie, or basic round lenses for other dressers. Has anyone seen what I'm looking for?

The other thought I had was trying to find someone with a 3D printer, and just printing a clear replacement lens. Anyone here play with that kind of tech?

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:03 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Seems like a lot of work for little gain. But that is just me.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:11 PM

Year: 1987
Model: GL1200A Aspencade
Bleach.

Lots and lots of bleach.

Actually I think it would look cool too but I don't know if it would be cool enough to be worth the effort. It's not as if they'd be bright enough for you to get any vision benefit from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I may have found something to help you, you want the turn signal light housing from a 2000 GL1500 as they are clear.

TURN SIGNAL, R. FR.
33410-MAM-A82

TURN SIGNAL, L. FR.
33460-MAM-A82

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:42 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
I thought I had heard of clear lenses someplace, and it appears trikelady found them. That's one expensive "cool".

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:19 PM

I'm pretty sure that the outer lenses on the '98 through '00 turn signal lenses are clear as TrikeLady says but internally there is an amber lens over the bulb. So a switchback bulb would still shine amber.

1998 - GL1500 w/175,000 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/106,000 miles
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Garage
There's no vision benefit at all for the rider. There should/could be a bit of a visibility boost though.

Trikelady and briese, thanks for that. I thought they'd changed the outer lens at some point, but I wasn't sure if the later signals and lenses would fit the 96.

In general, am I correct in thinking that most 4th-gen parts are interchangeable?

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
Yes, you can get the entire 98-00 headlight package and update the look of the Wing.
The only other way to get them cheaper would be from a salvage yard and then maybe open the fixture and remove the amber bulb cover and then use a good adhesive to reassemble it and make it water tight.

Retired trike builder.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Yes, you can get the entire 98-00 headlight package and update the look of the Wing.
Oh, crap. There goes my budget!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
It will this is the complete package: https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1...adlight/83/743
cmhbob likes this.

Retired trike builder.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page