10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Year: '79
Make: Custom trike
Model: GL 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambozoClown View Post
What he is getting at is, if you have a fuel leak through a carb, the gas could leak into the crankcase and raise the oil level.
However, if you have oil in or even on the exhaust it should be smoking like crazy. I'm sure when you can look underneath, you will locate it.
So got it on the lift today...The oil does smell gassy and is very thin...Looks like it's an accumulation over time....
I'm suspecting too much fuel pressure....I have a small electric pump , that is supposed to be under two pounds...But, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on the line, and can't be sure if that's the problem...
Tomorrow, I'm going to only use the electric pump to get the gas to the carbs (tank in rear, engine in front)....Then turn off the pump before starting the engine...
The original fuel pump that was on the bike, was working, so it might be enough to draw from the tank, once primed.....
Of course, the oil has been drained out.
I hope this solves the problem.
Thanks for the help.
Edward
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
Has it got a petcock? Was it on or off? Even if on, carb intake needle & seat should have prevented fuel flooding CC. A little trash on a seat will prevent needle from working to stop excess fuel in floatbowl.
DaveO430 likes this.

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )

NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:55 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Barry View Post
So got it on the lift today...The oil does smell gassy and is very thin...Looks like it's an accumulation over time....
I'm suspecting too much fuel pressure....I have a small electric pump , that is supposed to be under two pounds...But, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on the line, and can't be sure if that's the problem...
Tomorrow, I'm going to only use the electric pump to get the gas to the carbs (tank in rear, engine in front)....Then turn off the pump before starting the engine...
The original fuel pump that was on the bike, was working, so it might be enough to draw from the tank, once primed.....
Of course, the oil has been drained out.
I hope this solves the problem.
Thanks for the help.
Edward

If it was too much pressure the engine would be flooding while running. Turn the petcock off when parked.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:12 AM

Year: 1977, et al
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1000/1200
What year engine will help with diagnosis. Float needle and seat are likely cause but could be elsewhere. Failure to remedy this can result in a bent rod. As mentioned, turn petcock off always. Bump the starter with the kill switch on stop a few times to ensure it’s clear. That will ensure you don’t get one or two cylinders firing to add to the force of a piston coming up to a hydrolocked situation.

What can happen is the intake valve on one cylinder holds a few ccs of fuel in the port and runner. When you go to start it, the valve opens and the liquid flows into the combustion chamber. When it closes and the piston comes up, everything comes to a rapid halt.

If the motor was shut down with intake and exhaust valves open, the fuel goes in the chamber and drizzles out the exhaust. Some will get past the rings and into the crankcase.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekvh1 View Post
What year engine will help with diagnosis. Float needle and seat are likely cause but could be elsewhere. Failure to remedy this can result in a bent rod. As mentioned, turn petcock off always. Bump the starter with the kill switch on stop a few times to ensure itís clear. That will ensure you donít get one or two cylinders firing to add to the force of a piston coming up to a hydrolocked situation.

What can happen is the intake valve on one cylinder holds a few ccs of fuel in the port and runner. When you go to start it, the valve opens and the liquid flows into the combustion chamber. When it closes and the piston comes up, everything comes to a rapid halt.

If the motor was shut down with intake and exhaust valves open, the fuel goes in the chamber and drizzles out the exhaust. Some will get past the rings and into the crankcase.
Hmmmm...Didn't know that , but the petcock is on the tank, under the body where it can't be easily reached. I now remember that I used to shut the petcock off on my 750, after every use.
This is a '79 1000 engine....
Now you've got me thinking about adding another access port on that side of the car (I have a couple service ports), so I can shut the fuel supply off....
Either that, or put a second petcock near the engine.....

I did run the starter with the plugs out, pump off, and nothing came out of the cylinders on that side.

This is useful info...Thanks
Edward
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:59 AM
mod-erator

Garage
How about 1 of these?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Dave
Thanks...Never saw one before...But I did order a manual ball-type valve, which I will place near the original fuel pump outlet...Hopefully this problem will go away...
If this doesn't do the trick I will have to find a plan "B"....

Edward
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

I did some more searching...I was looking for a way for oil to end up under the engine in this quantity...For the first time, I noticed the hole under the water pump had some oil coming out of it.....(Just a little, but there shouldn't be any, right?)
It would have to be a REALLY bad seal for this much oil to be expelled, wouldn't it? I just don't see any other outlet for the oil....
That being said, would gas in the oil cause it too seep past the water pump seal in this amount, or am I dealing with both a bad water pump seal and too much fuel pressure?
Also stuck a small screwdriver in the hole...Lots of grease and liquid oil....
Thanks for the input
Edward
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:44 PM
mod-erator

Garage
I don't think you have too much fuel pressure, just leaking float valves. The thinned oil will leak worse but you probably still need a new water pump.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I don't think you have too much fuel pressure, just leaking float valves. The thinned oil will leak worse but you probably still need a new water pump.
The float needles could be leaking, but excess fuel pressure from the electric pump may be the culprit...I just purchased an in-line pressure gauge...I will be looking for less than 2 lbs , preferably 1.5 lbs or less....
While I hate to take on such a project , before I've really had time to get this on the road, looks like I will be replacing the water pump and all associated gaskets....
If anyone has any tips, other than what's in the Haynes and Clymer manuals, please let me know....
Thanks again.
Edward

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page