??? Power, Loose wire - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
??? Power, Loose wire

I went out to go for short ride today and when I turned the switch on my head lights came on then went right back off, this happen to me sat. but I put a charge in the battery and she started right up, but when I went out today no lights and won't start, every thing else works horn, turn sig, radio. I put another battery in her and when I turn the switch on the head lights came on went back off now nothing, I check all the fuse's on the left side all ok, I dont know what else to try anyone got any idea's. I did read the tread on here about won't start but I checked all the fuse on the one side. Help Please MCFF She is a 1990 GL1500A

Patriot Guard Rider #144639

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Relay #3 swap it with one in the box that has the same value. That one goes bad over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
??? No Power

Does this mean "no lights" anywhere...?? Head lights, dash lights, neutral light....etc.....??

Assuming you have a good strong battery and tight clean connections............!!

If so, check the Main Fuse B (55-amp) Dog Bone and its connections by the battery. It powers the following:

1. The # 2 Ignition/Cruise (15-amp) Fuse (Fuse powers the # 8 Ignition/Cruise Relay)

2. The # 3 Stop (15-amp) Fuse (Fuse powers the # 2 Stop Lights Relay)

3. The # 5 Headlight (15-amp) Fuse (Fuse powers the # 4 High and # 1 Low
Beam Relays)

4. The # 6 Air Pump (10-amp) Fuse (Fuse powers the # 5 Air Pump Relay)

5. The # 8 Tail Illumination (15-amp) Fuse (Fuse powers the # 3 Tail Main Relay)

Also check the Main Fuse A (30-amp) and its connections located with the starter relay A by the battery. It powers the ignition switch.

Did you check for input/output voltage on those fuses....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFirefighter View Post
I went out to go for short ride today and when I turned the switch on my head lights came on then went right back off, this happen to me sat. but I put a charge in the battery and she started right up, but when I went out today no lights and won't start, every thing else works horn, turn sig, radio. I put another battery in her and when I turn the switch on the head lights came on went back off now nothing, I check all the fuse's on the left side all ok, I dont know what else to try anyone got any idea's. I did read the tread on here about won't start but I checked all the fuse on the one side. Help Please MCFF She is a 1990 GL1500A
redwing52 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
The thing of it all guys is if I put the charger on the batt. and let it charge for a while it will start and every thing is like norm. Turn it off let is set over night same thing in the morning the headlights come on and then goes right off and no insterment panel lights except the cruise on light. Every thing else works???? horn, signal lights all but the curb lights that someone has hooked up for driving lights. Charge the batt for a while and wala starts and runs like norm. I am at a stand still I bought 2 new batt. thinking the 1st one was bad but when I installed new batt. nothing until i put it on the charger for a bit. Then fires right up. ???? Please help. MCFF

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Electrical Issue

Observation and questions.....!

Quote:
The thing of it all guys is if I put the charger on the batt. and let it charge for a while it will start and every thing is like norm.

Then you had a "low voltage" battery.

Turn it off let is set over night same thing in the morning the headlights come on and then goes right off and no insterment panel lights except the cruise on light. Every thing else works???? horn, signal lights all but the curb lights that someone has hooked up for driving lights.

Charge the batt for a while and wala starts and runs like norm.

Then you have a "low voltage" battery again. Something is draining the battery (or you have a battery issue).

Day 1...After the bike starts (with a fully charged battery), turn off the engine then disconnect the negative battery cable.

Check the battery voltage (make note of the voltage).

Day 2...Check the battery voltage again. Compare the day 1 and day 2 voltage readings.

What is the day 1 and day 2 voltage readings.....?? Be specific such as 12.7, 12.2, 11.9. 10.8 or whatever...!

If the day 1 and day 2 voltage readings are the same or exceptionally close, then you probably have an additional voltage drain on one or more of the bike (or add on) circuits on the bike.

Note: The GL1500 needs a very strong battery to start.....!

I am at a stand still I bought 2 new batt. thinking the 1st one was bad but when I installed new batt. nothing until i put it on the charger for a bit. Then fires right up.

Where did you get the new batteries, what brand name, how many amp hours, what is the CCA, did you check the voltage on the new batteries, did you load test them.......!!

???? Please help. MCFF
redwing52 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Garage
Is this a crank and no start condition, or a no crank scenario?

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well guys and gals after all the test's that I have done I finely figured it out!! thanks to trike Lady it was a loose ignition relay, I don't have any idea what the deal was when I would charge the batt. it would
start I guess the relay was just making contact from me moving the bike around and moving wires. The relay was not snapped in good and was just making contact when I was moving things around I guess.
Thanks so much for everyones ideas and help. And again special thanks to Trike Lady for sending me the idea to check all the realys. MCFF
redwing52 and flylow like this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
You're welcome.

Retired trike builder.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 PM

???..Power, Loose Wire

Quote:
Well guys and gals after all the test's that I have done I finely figured it out!! thanks to trike Lady it was a loose ignition relay, I don't have any idea what the deal was when I would charge the batt. it would
start I guess the relay was just making contact from me moving the bike around and moving wires. The relay was not snapped in good and was just making contact when I was moving things around I guess.
Thanks so much for everyones ideas and help. And again special thanks to Trike Lady for sending me the idea to check all the realys. MCFF
Just to keep things accurate on this issue and not "mislead" anyone....!

It was a loose Tail Main Relay # 3 (not a loose ignition relay)

I know there are folks who rely on what resolves various issues and use it for future reference....!
corkya likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:16 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
In the second post it states 'Relay #3' I make no reference to calling it an 'Ignition Relay'.
I posted the diagram with the various relays in the relay box.
Mine was the suggestion of checking the relays.

Retired trike builder.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page