gl1500 starts & runs thens dies - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: gl-1500
Model: Interstate with roadsmith trike HT1500 kit
gl1500 starts & runs thens dies

'93 gl-1500. 62k. new OEM fuel shut-off valve, new fuel filter. added a spliced ground wire from the gnd. on the fuel pump, to the main ground under the seat. just to be sure it was getting a good ground.
i'm getting instant fuel flow to the fuel filter.when you turn the key on. i;m getting instant vacuum to the fuel shut off valve, when you crank the engine.
but i'm not getting any fuel pressure at the fuel filter, checked with a gage.but plenty of fuel flow.
anyone know if the fuel pump is suppose to register pressure or only fuel flow.
the ECM wasn't giving power to the fuel pump 6 months ago, so i ordered one off of e bay. but it didn;t either. so i added a hot wire from the left phillips screw over the fuses. (hot when the key is on) to the left storeage pocket. then added a 5 amp mini-fuse, then a on-off switch, then goes to the hot connector on the fuel pump. this set up worked ok for several months..
i'm tempted to eliminate the fuel shut-off valve to see if that helps.
i also added a new ground wire on the right philleps screw to the main ground under the seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 09:47 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
First things is do you understand how the OEM fuel pump is supposed to function? When you turn on the key the pump will run for a second or two only. After that the pump will not run until either the engine starts or the start button is depressed.
Are you checking pressure with a known good gause that can read down to 2 PSI or so? Not much pressure at the filter. I almost think it would start and idle with just flow and no real pressure. Probably not perform so good. You could eliminate the vacuum petcock to be sure that is not the issue even though it is a pretty simple mechanism and not at all likely you got a bad one. Not to mention even if the petcock was bad you should still get fuel pressure.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

i've hot wired the fuel pump. from ign. source thru 5 amp fuse to on-off switch then to the hot terminal on the pump.it no longer goes thru the ECM

i've ran the bike daily for 2 months with this set up. but it just

quit. i did get it to run for 4 miles to make it home after changing fuel filter, now won;t run. i did chang the fuel filter again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:35 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
It's possible you have an ignition problem causing the pump not to work, and no ignition when it doesn't work. Could be that making a new circuit to the pump took enough load off the ignition system that it worked for a while. I would start with checking for power to the black/white wire on pin 2 of the ECU.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

decided to change the fuel pump. the spacers on the fuel pump is from a 1 1/4" thin-wall pcvp union. cut it in half on chop saw, then cut a 1/4 " slot so it would squeese tigh it bolted in the original bracket. you need 2 of these shaped the same. had to get a longer 5mmX.80 screw needs to be about 1" long. had one in my scroung bag.

just tested it and it works. the ones you buy on ebay for 25.00 the terminals are not marked + and the other -.guess it doesn't matter.i put iol resistant RTV on the terminals, so im letting that cure overnight.don't have the fuel filter on yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_20180811_191837.jpg (7.8 KB, 153 views)
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Model: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownfoxx1 View Post
decided to change the fuel pump. the spacers on the fuel pump is from a 1 1/4" thin-wall pcvp union. cut it in half on chop saw, then cut a 1/4 " slot so it would squeese tigh it bolted in the original bracket. you need 2 of these shaped the same. had to get a longer 5mmX.80 screw needs to be about 1" long. had one in my scroung bag.

just tested it and it works. the ones you buy on ebay for 25.00 the terminals are not marked + and the other -.guess it doesn't matter.i put iol resistant RTV on the terminals, so im letting that cure overnight.don't have the fuel filter on yet.
Where there's a will.... Clever fella! By the way, I just noticed that you're from Peru, IN. I was born in Miami County Hospital in Peru a couple of centuries ago.....
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
how did you attach that picture ???
it won't pop up full size, and when I look at the Image Location, it is all screwed up.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
how did you attach that picture ???
it won't pop up full size, and when I look at the Image Location, it is all screwed up.

John,
Speaking of tech issues, is there a reason I can't copy and paste a URL to text now. When I try it shows up but when I submit it won't show. At least it doesn't show on my computer.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
John,
Speaking of tech issues, is there a reason I can't copy and paste a URL to text now. When I try it shows up but when I submit it won't show. At least it doesn't show on my computer.

you can't paste a URL to text unless you know what the proper coding is to surround that image. that is why you need to use the Landscape Icon above the editor, or use Manage Attachments when using the Classic Yellow GUI.

there are 3 other GUIs available that allow Drag 'n Drop from your computer.
they work, but you don't have control over how the images show up.

I prefer hosting the image in the Gallery or on www.Imgur.com and then linking that Image Location to the post by using the Landscape Icon, it works every time.

what you seem to have been doing, is trying to link to a file on your computer, or from an email. that won't work.... the images have to be Uploaded, or linked via URL from an external host.

~ John

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
you can't paste a URL to text unless you know what the proper coding is to surround that image. that is why you need to use the Landscape Icon above the editor, or use Manage Attachments when using the Classic Yellow GUI.

there are 3 other GUIs available that allow Drag 'n Drop from your computer.
they work, but you don't have control over how the images show up.

I prefer hosting the image in the Gallery or on www.Imgur.com and then linking that Image Location to the post by using the Landscape Icon, it works every time.

what you seem to have been doing, is trying to link to a file on your computer, or from an email. that won't work.... the images have to be Uploaded, or linked via URL from an external host.
OK, I copied and pasted the URL from this page below. Can you see it?
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...hens-dies.htmlWell so can I. Now let me try Youtube.
From Youtube shows up fine when I am writing text. When I push save changes or submit I see nothing but a big blank space like above.https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...a-gold-wing-se Here is one from Partazilla and I can see that also. Is it just Youtube that doesn't show. My old computer only??? Always used to work. Just copy and paste from youtube to the yext box and it would appear.

Mike

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page