post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 05:35 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdeniz Umman View Post
You don't need a lift to troubleshoot this problem.

Harbor Freight just put their motorcycle table lift on sale again !!!

$285 out the door

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ift-68892.html

cmhbob likes this.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Year: 1996
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
Start with the speedo cable and build a bike around it.
The idea has merit. That's sort of how they designed the A-10. "We've got this gun, and we need a plane to carry it."

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Garage
OK, I'm a little new at this, but I think my speedometer cable isn't supposed to look like this.

I had the front fork seals done a few weeks ago. Would they have pulled the fenders, etc. for the fork seals? I wouldn't think so. I'm wondering if this is just age, or did the shop goof somehow.

At any rate, I was looking from underneath at the top end where the cable goes into the speedometer, and I don't see how I can get my fingers up in there. There's what looks like a guard keeping my fingers from getting to the upper nut. I've got the 94 manual that someone had uploaded; what page is that area on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpeedoCable.jpg (57.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg FrontWheelSpeedo.jpg (68.7 KB, 11 views)

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I'd guess they pulled the wheel without disconnecting the cable. Seems like they would have just replaced it but, these days, sleaze rules.

Take it back to them, but don't let them do the work. Get a new cable and folks here will guide you installing it. On the 15 its relatively easy.
cmhbob and DBohrer like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:07 AM

Model: 2000 Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
OK, I'm a little new at this, but I think my speedometer cable isn't supposed to look like this.

I had the front fork seals done a few weeks ago. Would they have pulled the fenders, etc. for the fork seals? I wouldn't think so. I'm wondering if this is just age, or did the shop goof somehow.

At any rate, I was looking from underneath at the top end where the cable goes into the speedometer, and I don't see how I can get my fingers up in there. There's what looks like a guard keeping my fingers from getting to the upper nut. I've got the 94 manual that someone had uploaded; what page is that area on?
This is a MAJOR league PITA. It can be done. I was able to get my hand in there, but I have a lift. If you get the bike at the right height, it is much easier. This is not a 10 minute job.

Carl

Honorary Rhino
Astronomy is my main MONEY PIT, But my GW is a close second.

old bikes:
71FX Super Glide
86 Aspencade
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post

Check the attached doc......! You can do this job.......!!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc GL1500 Speedometer Cable Replacement.doc (16.5 KB, 15 views)
cmhbob and Bellboy40 like this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
The procedure that DBohrer posted is a good one. That is how I replaced the one on my 94 1500. I had to use some pliers to break it loose on the speedometer end, then stood on the right side of the bike and reached up under there with my left hand to remove it. Kind of a pain to do but not so bad if you know the procedure.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Did...did I do that?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Check the attached doc......! You can do this job.......!!!
Thanks for that. It'll be a couple of days before I can get to it; I'll report back.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page