Thoughts on finding a vacuum leak - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 01:02 AM

Model: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing.
I agree with Stans. More likely than not it is the primary vacuum lines coming off the base of the carbs. Not only leaks in additional air, but screws up the entire vacuum system. Well, at least half of it, if only the 90 degree one is leaking, but I guarantee that the other primary vacuum lines are cooked to death and need replacement; up to where you hit the grey vacuum hoses. It's a design thing, including the Farkin' heat-trapping mat on top of the engine. It ain't the easiest job to fix, but there are videos to help. Whether they mention it or not I'll give you a tip to make the job far easier: Remove the two radiator fans and it all becomes quite doable. Re-synch the carbs when the primary vacuum system is replaced. Instead of buying OEM parts, simply put "sweeps" in the new vacuum hoses, get rid of the farkin' heat-trapping mat while you're in there, and I'll bet you'll never have to deal with it again.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:46 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpone View Post
Instead of buying OEM parts, simply put "sweeps" in the new vacuum hoses, get rid of the farkin' heat-trapping mat while you're in there, and I'll bet you'll never have to deal with it again.!

supposedly, that mat is to prevent Heat Soak on the carbs during brief shutdown periods.... causing the carbs to boil over while you are inside the DQ
tamathumper likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:49 PM

Model: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
supposedly, that mat is to prevent Heat Soak on the carbs during brief shutdown periods.... causing the carbs to boil over while you are inside the DQ

That's exactly what the mat is for, and having it in there is good for start/stop downtown Tokyo traffic in summer. But if, like most of us, you prefer to be out on open roads instead of putting around downtowns it is pointless, and I'd say a negative. All I know is that after I performed the primary vacuum system/isolators replacement and while in there replacing the OEM carb gasket and took the bike for a ride all he had to say was, "Thank God you got rid of that farkin' mat; it was stifling me!" True story.
AZgl1800 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:27 PM

Garage
and you are sticking to it too
Cornpone likes this.

~ John

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1988
Make: Goldwing
Model: 1500 California Side Car II
Next update. The carburetors are off. I have checked all the vacuum line below as everyone has suggested and have found nothing wrong. From the looks of things I am going to say that the lines look pretty good and I think maybe they have already been changed at least once in the life of this bike. I think that because of how good they look and because I found a piece of the top of a number 18 tube with its little clamp at the bottom of everything. But I am not sure I am stumped and again here is why. Once I got everything unhooked and loosened the screws to the carb boots I was absolutely stunned when the left side was just loose and the right side I had to pull and tug and jerk before it finally popped off. The left carb, from the underside is caked with all sorts of dirt, oil and such while the right side is absolutely clean. My conclusion is that the left carb was never seated properly whenever the previous work was done and it just took this long for it to work loose enough to cause real problems. Any thoughts? I will be ordering new boots and maybe a new mat as I might have chewed the other up a bit. I have one hose to replace because I ripped it getting it off and then we will assemble everything and see if I am right. I will still continue to check, look, examine, and scope out all the lines as I wait for parts to arrive.
limpy45 likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 06:23 PM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
If it was me, I would go ahead and replace that hose that has the 90 bend in it that is pictured in post #10. I would replace it "just because" and you are already there with your hands on it.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 06:48 PM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
The good news is if your left carb was not seated into the insulator that would be a likely point for your lean running condition.

If your grit on the carb is similar to this then the bad news is you likely have a leaking float bowl gasket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3937f.jpg (316.9 KB, 26 views)

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 07:07 PM

Yes and yes. The loose "isolator" (what Honda calls the carb boots) is the likely source of the leak and yes, I'd replace all the hoses while in there. Hoses are cheap, especially since I just use the right size hose, not the OEM 90 degree angle jobs. As I'm about to post re a GL1200 carb question, I'm so anal after dealing with vacuum leaks that when I rebuild carbs I use mini zip-ties to make sure they're sealed tight.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:37 AM

Garage
No way, would I put that back together without replacing every single one of those vacuum hoses.....

they are dirt cheap, and it takes 3 days to get down into there again.

~ John

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:25 AM

Year: 1992
Make: HONDA
Model: GL 1500 A
Pulling the carbs might be your option. Have a 92 A which cruse control stopped working. found a solft #6 vac line. replaced all I could reach. And that included pulling the carb. The one under the carbs was colapsed and had a large hole in it. Back together again cruse working . Cruse used to light up but not kick in. Now it does . As the Kid Dragon often says "take that deep breath and dive in."
limpy45 likes this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page